BLOG: Perils of furniture surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLOG: Perils of furniture surfing

If you’ve ever had walking issues due to multiple sclerosis, you are bound to have experience in the sport of surfing, specifically furniture/wall/appliance surfing. One engages in said sport by eschewing practical walking aids—a cane, a walker, forearm crutches, etc.—in favor ricocheting off of solid objects in one’s home.

Whatever you do, don't EVER do what I just did. You definitely do not want to be a Barney. ...

http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2015...e-surfing.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I hate using a cane around the house, I usually do use it but as I said, I hate it. It's a major PITA to have one hand occupied when you need to use it. I have damn near perfected the art of "wall walking" but it comes with substantial risks.

Comment

"One hand for yourself, one hand for the ship."

Comment

It's not just wonky MS legs that creates some interesting adventures in furniture surfing.....severe bout of optic neuritis caused me to go completely blind in my left eye. Going from binary to mono-vision in the span of 3 days and the resulting loss of depth perception made for some great surfing. My hips and shoulders were black and blue from hitting door frames and jams, table edges, chairs, etc. Going down stairs made me dizzy so there were a few times I did the butt sit and scoot down stairs. Holding on to walls and bannisters became a must.

I have had only minor recovery of vision in that eye, so still have depth perception issues, have mostly adapted now, but still get a good sharp reminder once in awhile.
        Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

If you buy your beer in cans, you may not need stitches

I guess I've always thought of it as akin to pinball where the more pegs, furniture, counter tops, walls, etc. around the better. I did have a little mishap once when returning to the patio with a fresh beer in hand, where I slipped on the cement and landed with my hand on the smashed beer bottle. I suppose the moral of the story is: If you buy your beer in cans you may not need stitches.

Ahh MS, where everyday is a new adventure.

Comment

AMF, I would say your story had me in stitches, but that might exceed the bad pun quota for this thread.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

I only started furniture surfing the past couple of months and had no idea it had a name. I was beginning to use a cane. Last week I decorated it with puffy smiling face and peace sign stickers and am using it in the classroom. Last week I answered their questions with a brief explanation it helps me walk. This week I told them I had wonky legs. I love the looks.

Comment

Stickers make everything better! I've decorated my walking aids as well, but nothing too froofy.
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
                X