Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help...sudden dehydration at farmers' market...need advice after two serious incident

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mmpetunia
    replied
    Hi Linda,

It looks like you may have found a solution that works for you, but have you considered a cooling vest/ wrap/ wetted handkerchief? If you are losing electrolytes from sweat, presumably you are working long hours in a hot environment. Keeping your temp down and therefore preventing losses through sweat with the cooling vest might also be helpful.

Leave a comment:

• MSLazarus
    replied
    Thanks everyone for teaching me....success!

I went to market yesterday and had Skratch which is great. I also have small cartons of coconut water which has been an equal help at replacing potassium and electrolytes.

So, I have stopped drinking plain water! I drink Skratch, coconut water and unsweetened almond milk. I am almost fully recovered and have returned to doing farm work!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to educate me. I run a small organic farm and have been vegetarian for 50 years so I am aware that what I eat is important. But now I am also aware that I need to drink more than straight water. Who would a thunk it?

Linda

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
    Skratch is my go to electrolyte mix. Get it at cycling or running shops that carry hydration and nutrition products. It comes in bulk or individual serving sizes, add to water. Lots of electrolytes, low on sugars, much better than gatorade. On occasion in a real pinch I've settled for an ice cold Coke.

I was going to recommend scratch as well. I like the single serving packs that you can take with you, just add to water and you are good.

EFS is another brand I have had a lot.

Leave a comment:

• Suebee
    replied
    Linda, maybe you should touch base with your GP. The suddenness of the dehydration might indicate something else is going on. I think it's better to be on safe side. I know with MS one can't go running to dr everytime something out of ordinary happens, but this sounds worth investigating further. Here is link to right diagnosis listing a differential. http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/symptoms/sudden_onset_of_dehydration/causes.htm. Maybe you can bring it with you, at least to allay your concerns. Good luck, and hope you feel better. Suebee

Leave a comment:

• MSLazarus
    replied
    I ordered Skratch and gel things....

I will let you know if it helps....

I am drinking fruit juice with just one ingredient which is the fruit.

Muscles are really sore so I am not getting better as fast as usual.

Thanks for teaching me about products that might help. For a farmer to have these problems in the middle of the season is devastating.
    Linda

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Prevention is key, use electrolytes before dehydration sets in. The things Lauren is talking about are also good. Hope to hear if you think this works.
    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 07-13-2015, 08:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• LaurenK
    replied
    Just kind of spitballing here, but the gel or cubes that they make for runners/bikers might be helpful. Lots of sugar, some caffiene, and salts. There's several brands, I usually buy them at REI, I've not seen any major differences between them.

Leave a comment:

• MSLazarus
    replied
    Really..ice cold coke...I could try that..

The dehydration occurs suddenly. I am working and functioning well for for 5-6 hours and then suddenly I am over the top.

I do drink water which is why I am thinking I need to replace salts/electrolytes.

I will look for the product you mention...lots of running/biking stores where I live. And I will take a coke too if that will help.

I appreciate your information very much.

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Skratch is my go to electrolyte mix. Get it at cycling or running shops that carry hydration and nutrition products. It comes in bulk or individual serving sizes, add to water. Lots of electrolytes, low on sugars, much better than gatorade. On occasion in a real pinch I've settled for an ice cold Coke.

Leave a comment:

• Help...sudden dehydration at farmers' market...need advice after two serious incident

Help. Severe dehydration at farmers market. Which commercial sport drinks would help
    I know everything you will tell me about dehydration. Please trust me on that.

I want help if the symptoms come on suddenly. At that point drinking lots of water will not help.

Think of an athlete. Gatorade is the only drink I know the name of.....I need something that I can drink immediately. Side benefit is that it may stop the urination that goes if you just drink water. Maybe the salts.?

Again yesterday I got suddenly very sick. Dehydration is very serious. I need a sports drink for on the spot help.
    Any experience anyone?
Working...
X