• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marinadca
    replied
    Originally posted by Cvfactor View Post
    Why has this trail generated angst?

This had be curious as well! It sounds like a fantastic trial that is making nature available to all. What in the world about it is upsetting to people?

Leave a comment:

• Cvfactor
    replied
    Why has this trail generated angst?

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    started a topic Letter to the Editor on ADA trail

Letter to the Editor on ADA trail

I wrote the following to the editors of the Albuquerque Journal. It was published today. There is a new ADA trail in town that has generated considerable angst. While I understand the concerns of residents, I wanted them to better understand the position of those less mobile. You never know what boat you are going to be in until you are in said boat. Most of us don't plan on living a life with a disability. - D

The other day I had a chance to ride the controversial ADA trail in the bosque. And I cried. Instead of finding large swaths of the river forest bulldozed and a grotesque path at odds with nature, there was a discreet ribbon tucked into the trees. And for the first time in nearly ten years, I was back in the heart of the bosque, experiencing all of its wonders—the Rio Grande, the cottonwoods, the migrating birds, the solitude. I was overjoyed to the point of tears.

Multiple sclerosis may have robbed me of my legs and so much more, but I refuse to let it plunder my spirit. This off-road trail, one of the few I can actually ride with my hand trike, is a boon to anyone who is mobility challenged. It currently may only be a scant mile and a half, but it is without question a transformative 2,700 yards. I eagerly look forward to the Montaņo extension.

I speak for all of my disabled friends when I thank Mayor Berry, City Councilors, and the Parks and Rec department for making what was impassable passable. And I thank the citizens of Albuquerque for their understanding of how significant it is that the intimate treasures of the bosque are part of all of our lives, regardless of physical limitations.

Dave Bexfield
    Founder, www.ActiveMSers.org
Working...
X