Depression in MS—it might be physically unavoidable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Depression in MS—it might be physically unavoidable

Researchers are finding that depression with multiple sclerosis runs far deeper than being bummed out about have a chronic disease. In fact people with MS are on twice as likely to suffer from depression as the average person and, surprisingly, are usually more depressed than those with ALS, which is often fatal. But why?

MS often affects areas of the brain that influence mood and appear to be linked to depression.
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/po...e-scl-10-07-03

This interesting article was just released yesterday:
    http://www.empowher.com/multiple-scl...rosis-patients

Why am making a big deal about this? Because it is a big deal, and the phrase "cheer up" isn't going to work (as much as your family and friends want it to). If you are suffering from depression, remember it's likely not you, it's this damn disease. Tell your doctor and don't be afraid to take medications. Depression if left unchecked and untreated can be crippling.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Anti-depressants currently being tested for neuro-protective properties

From the Johns Hopkins, Project RESTORE - five year research summary, January 2010.

"An important area of study is identifying ways to protect the nervous system from damage. We have identified several promising compounds that appear to be neuro-protective in nerve cell culture dishes. Several of these drugs that are already being used to treat other diseases including drugs that treat fungal infections and certain types of antidepressants that enhance serotonin, an important chemical involved in nerve transmission".

...as far as I know, reserach into this area continues to this day. Obviously....don't start taking anti-depressants in the hope that they can be neuro-protective in nature as they idea is still yet to be proven. I am a patient at Hopkins, and neuro there has discussed my taking anti-depressants to capture two benefits : 1) overall mood and 2) the possible neuro-protective benefits.

Comment

I tell my friends and family that the MS ate a hole in my brain and now things don't work so well. If YOU had a hole in your brain your emotions might not function so great either. This is actually a physical problem, caused by MS, that is causing my depression. I have to take 2 different anti-depressents.

Comment

Incidentally, there was a 2005 study that found exercising 3 times a week for 45 minutes was as effective as the prescription antidepressant Zoloft. And there is a lower depression relapse rate with those who exercise. The combination of exercise and medication could be even more potent...
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
        X