• Show
Clear All

• STUDY: Hispanics in US with MS

Multiple sclerosis in Hispanics: a study of clinical disease expression

L Amezcua1⇓
    BT Lund1
    LP Weiner1
    T Islam2
    1University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Los Angeles, California, USA.
    2University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA.
    Lilyana Amezcua, MD, 1520 San Pablo St, Suite 3000, Los Angeles, CA 90033 USA Email: lamezcua@usc.edu

Abstract

Background: Hispanics living with multiple sclerosis (MS) in the United States are not well defined.

Objective: To describe the clinical characteristics of MS among Hispanic Whites (HW) in Southern California with those of non-Hispanic Whites (NHW).

Methods: We performed a medical chart review to identify all cases of HW with MS (n = 125) who were treated at our institution during a 1-year period. We also identified cases of NHW with MS (100 NHW) treated at those clinics. All HW patients were interviewed to ascertain ancestry including detailed migration history. Disease progression was assessed by ambulatory disability and defined as Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score ≥6.

Results: Compared with NHW, HW were more likely to have a relapsing–remitting form of MS and a younger age of onset (28.4 ± 0.97 years) with presenting symptoms of optic neuritis and transverse myelitis. However, overall ambulatory disability did not differ between HW and NHW. Migration to the US at age >15 years was associated with increased risk of disability in HW.

Conclusions: HW living in the USA may be at risk of developing MS at an earlier age compared with NHW. Migration history can play an important role in the management of HW with MS.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
    Multiple sclerosis in Hispanics: a study of clinical disease expression

L Amezcua1⇓
    BT Lund1
    LP Weiner1
    T Islam2
    1University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Department of Neurology, Los Angeles, California, USA.
    2University of Southern California, Keck School of Medicine, Department of Preventive Medicine, Los Angeles, California, USA.
    Lilyana Amezcua, MD, 1520 San Pablo St, Suite 3000, Los Angeles, CA 90033 USA Email: lamezcua@usc.edu

Abstract

Background: Hispanics living with multiple sclerosis (MS) in the United States are not well defined.

Objective: To describe the clinical characteristics of MS among Hispanic Whites (HW) in Southern California with those of non-Hispanic Whites (NHW).

Methods: We performed a medical chart review to identify all cases of HW with MS (n = 125) who were treated at our institution during a 1-year period. We also identified cases of NHW with MS (100 NHW) treated at those clinics. All HW patients were interviewed to ascertain ancestry including detailed migration history. Disease progression was assessed by ambulatory disability and defined as Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) score ≥6.

Results: Compared with NHW, HW were more likely to have a relapsing–remitting form of MS and a younger age of onset (28.4 ± 0.97 years) with presenting symptoms of optic neuritis and transverse myelitis. However, overall ambulatory disability did not differ between HW and NHW. Migration to the US at age >15 years was associated with increased risk of disability in HW.

Conclusions: HW living in the USA may be at risk of developing MS at an earlier age compared with NHW. Migration history can play an important role in the management of HW with MS.

Hi Dave,

I'm confused. Does this only apply for Hispanics that moved to the US? It does not state about Hispanics born in the US?

I also found this article on ethnic groups which includes Hispanics:

http://www.msrc.co.uk/index.cfm/fuse...ow/pageid/1852

Comment

I look forward to seeing the answer to Stella's question. Born in Puerto Rico, I emigrated as a toddler to the Midwest. Interestingly, my MS was diagnosed in my early 20s and remained MS-lite for many years until a shift in diet and hormonal changes coincided with a more aggressive form of the disease.I wonder what if any role my ethnic background played. I also wonder, given the study cited by Stella, whether there is a difference between dark and light-skinned Hispanics regarding the manner in which MS manifests.

Comment

The study it appears looked at both Hispanics who were born here and moved here. In all the research I've read, where you lived in your early to mid/later teens is most predictive of your risk to get MS. The farther north (or south in the Southern Hemisphere) during that time frame, the higher the risk. I lived in Ohio during my teens, which has a relatively high rate of MS.

But you can get MS no matter where you live, even if you've lived in south Florida your whole life. Your odds are just lower....
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

The study it appears looked at both Hispanics who were born here and moved here. In all the research I've read, where you lived in your early to mid/later teens is most predictive of your risk to get MS. The farther north (or south in the Southern Hemisphere) during that time frame, the higher the risk. I lived in Ohio during my teens, which has a relatively high rate of MS.

But you can get MS no matter where you live, even if you've lived in south Florida your whole life. Your odds are just lower....
          I was born and raised in California and it wasn't till I was in my late teens and early 20's that I was in the U.S. Navy and moved around mostly the southern states (Florida, Texas, Virginia, and Georgia) Then moved back to California. When I was in my late 30's, I moved to Scotland and then I got MS 8 years later.

Judy, like you, I have so many questions, hopefully we will find some answers. I was googling Hispanics and MS and ran across this information. I don't know if it will help but it was interesting nonetheless:

http://www.mscare.org/cmsc/images/pd...18_Amezcua.pdf

Es un placer conocerte tambien!
          Last edited by Stella; 07-18-2011, 06:05 PM.

Comment

I was born in Puerto Rico, lived here all my life and only spent 9 years in the Northeast going to University.
            My mom is Cuban and my dad is Catalonian. Neither had ever heard about the disease and it shocked us all. Thank God my MS is stable and the only serious problem is the heat.

I am in complete agreement, no matter where your from and where you live. Anyone can get it.

Comment

Very interesting story JPlat. It sent shivers down my spine of how accurate the witch doctor was. Just goes to show that no one is exempt. No matter what color, what nationality, where you live, it's all a luck of the draw.

Comment

Working...
              X