Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

STUDY: MS Treatment Adherence—How to Keep Patients on Medication?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STUDY: MS Treatment Adherence—How to Keep Patients on Medication?

This is a huge issue that is confounding doctors and there is no easy answer. - Dave

Abstract

Disease-modifying therapies can positively influence the progression of multiple sclerosis, but how many patients continue to take their medications? A new study shows that the majority of patients with multiple sclerosis stop treatment. Research should focus on ways to improve adherence to disease-modifying therapies.

Introduction

Several disease-modifying therapies (DMTs) have been shown to reduce disease exacerbations, inhibit the formation of brain lesions, and/or slow disease progression in relapsing–remitting multiple sclerosis (MS).[1] Despite moderate success in the development of these efficacious drug therapies, a recent study by Wong et al.[2] highlights a major problem with maintaining long-term treatment in this condition—patient adherence is poor and many patients stop treatment altogether.

Using a Canadian public health database, Wong and colleagues[2] retrospectively identified 682 patients with MS who had initiated treatment with intramuscular interferon (IFN)-β1a, subcutaneous IFN-β1b, IFN-β1b, or glatiramer acetate. Generally consistent with other studies examining DMT persistence, approximately half of patients with MS discontinued their DMT within 2 years of drug initiation. Poor treatment persistence was independent of drug costs and rarely related to patients switching to another class of DMT (switching between DMT types occurred in only 3.4–6.5% of patients).

The above results are not specific to MS; poor treatment adherence is common among patients with many types of chronic disease.[3] Nonetheless, patients with MS may be at especially high risk of poor long-term adherence for several reasons. DMTs do not typically reduce chronic symptoms; thus, patients do not experience any improvement in their daily activities while on medication. In fact, in some cases, patients experience adverse symptoms from the medications themselves and may, therefore, endure a reduction in quality of life while on therapy. Additionally, during periods of remission, patients with MS might become complacent and not feel the need to take their medication; conversely, they might question efficacy and discontinue their medication when doing poorly. Cognitive and emotional difficulties, which are common in patients with MS, can also impede treatment adherence.[4] Despite high rates of treatment discontinuation, few large-scale studies have examined the myriad factors that may contribute to poor treatment adherence in MS.

Full article:
    http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/747756

My blog on the topic:
    http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2011...arguments.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

For me...it's all in the math

I was diagnosed in 1995. Started the first DMT in 1997. That one did not work..so shifted to another one, Copaxone. Did not miss a dose in 8 years before moving to Tysabri and now Gilenya. Have not missed a single dose of either of those either. While phyically uncomfortable, I can still walk and run and do most things normally.

Whenever tempted to miss even a single dose I do one of two things:

1. I look at data showing the expected average outcome for an MS sufferer. Then I look at clinical trial data which shows the average improvement I can expect when on the drug I am taking. While I may not feel great that day - I know that this is a long journey and DMTs are not supposed to make you feel instantly better and that I am doing this for the long term and that I don't want the average outcome a patient not on a DMT can expect.

2. When my children were younger, I would look at them. Wanted to stay as healthy as I possibly could for them. They are 13 and 15 now so ok not quite as cute - and now independent enough that not as much of my help would be needed if things headed south. But I have a daughter. One day she may choose to get married. Her father needs to walk her down the aisle....that is my finish line. Get me there on daily/weekly/monthly doses of a DMT and it will have all been worth the hassle.

Comment

Not at all surprised to read this. When I was first diagnosed I started on copaxone, did not miss a single dose but my quality of life tanked severely. I don't know how long I could have kept it up.

When I switched to Gilenyia I got my life back and still haven't missed a dose.

I wonder if the new oral medications will help this number improve. I think many studies tend to downplay the mental, physical, and emotional effect that being on injection therapy can have on some people.

Comment

Working...
      X