Your Input Wanted : Ideas For a New MS Support Group "MS Thrivers"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Input Wanted : Ideas For a New MS Support Group "MS Thrivers"

I recently proposed an idea with the MD and DC NMSS chapters of forming a support group focused on helping MSers who are or want to
    become physically active as a strategy to manage MS. Based on some communications this week - there will in the near future be an email blast to help determine which area within the Baltimore/DC metro region would be the best to locate such a group in (want to locate this closest to where the most number of people with an interest are located)...and depending on the response, make a move toward setting such a group up.

The group could include those who are newly diagnosed, those who remain ambulatory
    after many years, those with assistive walking devices - and those in a wheelchair. The only criteria for admittance would be a commitment
    to regular exercise (in some form) on a regular and ongoing basis.

Some of the activities such a group could do are:

- monthly meetings at different local parks for walking or jogging....and/or helping each other see nature
    - connect with experts in exercise physiology to help build appropriate exercise programs
    - present latest information on the benefits of MS and exercise
    - shared experience of managing MS while staying physically active
    - begin each session with group yoga (adapted for the capabilities of the attendees)
    - form an indoor soccer team (I am currently in a non-competitive indoor soccer league where physical contact is a foul and we are always looking to form new teams)

Any ideas for activities or cultural norms this group adopt would be warmly received.

Dang Gary, you have lots of great ideas that makes it hard to add to. I'm not usually stumped, but you have me scratching my head. I'll think about it over the holiday and post again....
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Thanks Dave...

....I am on the hook to create some text for the email blast in the week after the break for Thanksgiving.

Comment

Gary, sorry so late, been out of town for a while. The only other things I can think of off the top of my head are swimming activities and group brain activities like cards or puzzles, etc.

It's a great idea, best of luck.

Larry

Comment

Thanks

...good ideas, particularly the group mental exercises....that went on the draft of the email communication to be sent out (hopefully) in the near future to a bunch of MSers who live in and around the DC/Baltimore metro area.

Comment

I am moving there Gary! ;-) Sounds like a great group you got planned. I wish they had something like that where I live. Good luck with the project and keep us posted on how it goes!
            Last edited by Stella; 11-29-2011, 09:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X