Important question in regard to physical activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Important question in regard to physical activity

Hi there, I need to first introduce myself as a concerned friend who is seeking feedback on a situation. Any feedback is encouraged, and your advice/perspective would be greatly appreciated.

My friend is interested in joining myself to go tree planting this spring. For those who aren't quite sure of this summer job, it involves strenuous physical activity for approx. 8-10 hours a day, in any and all weather conditions (it can be a blizzard, or upwards of 30degrees C).
    Further, it involves camping in a self contained tent for 2 months straight.

I am an experienced treeplanter, heading in for my 5th season. I know the trials and tribulations of the workplace, but I also know the amazing group dynamic and enriching experience it can be.

As this friend and I have dated for a few years, I am fully aware of her condition (though most are not). She is almost 26, and was diagnosed when she was 16. In the years we have known each other - she has had a few symptoms that have showed rarely (minor numbing, slight vision issues), however nothing that has lasted more than a few hours - and no new lesions have been found upon MRI. These issues aside, she has always maintained a healthy diet and exercise. I would argue she is in far better physical shape than myself.

I guess what I'm getting at here is that there seems to appear a common link that debilitating effects are more evident when exposed to heat. While we try our best in the land to keep hydrated and covered up from the sun - the heat can get to everyone out there. This said, weather is notorious for being unpredictable during spring in northern Ontario, and I don't want to discourage her from coming if we have a full season of rain. Further, she's originally from the south of France and has not seemed to ever have an issue with heat intolerance. She has however suffered from the more internal symptoms such as bouts of depression and increased fatigue.

While I have no hesitation that she can do this job successfully as well as have a good time while doing it - I'm also not naive, have not experienced any symptoms first hand, and want to give her the best possible advice.

Based on your experiences with being activeMSers, would you encourage a relatively young non-visible symptomatic female to undertake a potentially risky and hazardous adventure? Or would you recommend that she avoid the hazard and enjoy activities that she can fully control?

As said before, any input would be great.
    Thanks.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best

With a little planning many things are possible, even for a person with relatively severe MS. Fatigue and heat sensitivity would certainly be my biggest issues. The fatigue might require a few more rest periods than most people, no real biggie there. Heat sensitivity might mean working near shade, a cool brook or just keeping water to douse with near by, plus, many MSers can develop a degree of heat tolerance given a little time. Perhaps the biggest issue with both heat sensitivity and fatigue might be a greater propensity towards accidental injury but a heightened awareness should go a long way toward preventing that. Although the symptoms can get debilitating, I'm not aware of an actual worsening of the MS that would be likely to occur under reasonably normal circumstances.

You would probably know better than I would but I don't see any reason your friend would constitute a safety risk to anyone else. I assume there is a medivac plan in place in the event someone on the team becomes ill or is seriously injured or the MS is just too much. Also that any disease modifying drugs can be properly accommodated. If your friend is comfortable with the situation, why not?

“How do I get off the ride?”
    “You never get off the ride. You just learn to hold on a different way.”
    From True Blue by David Baldacci

Comment

I agree with AMF. The heat won't influence MS progression (although symptoms may be amplified). As long as it's not a direct safety issue—dropping a tree on someone's head due to MS symptoms like sketchy eyesight—I believe it's very doable. The trickiest part could be the medication, which often requires temperature control or going for an infusion. She should know her body well enough to make an educated decision. Good luck and have fun!
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
      X