MS and LASIK?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS and LASIK?

Has anyone here got LASIK done? I asked one neuro about it he said, "Why not?".
    I called a LASIK helpline of a hospital here and she said they'd never done it for anyone with MS but I could come to the hospital and meet a doc and see.
    Was wondering if anyone here had done LASIK with the MS.

Irene, you may get more responses if you post in the general forum. As for my opinion, I've had eye docs tell folks with MS no to LASIK, since eyesight can change with this disease unexpectedly. Good luck with your decision.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I know it's quite scary.. was hoping I could talk to at least one other person who's had this procedure done.. technically it seems ok .. my eyesight is stable, no optic neuritis history and vision fields tests are ok .. and the docs assured me that the machine used would track my eyes even when they moved.. I guess I'm worried about the future if I have an eye related attack

Comment

MS and LASIK

Hi, Just seen this post and you probably made your decision ages ago but for what it's worth; I had lasik in 2012 and have had relapsing and remitting MS since 1994 and have had no issues since the surgery. I didn't receive any advice that suggested that lasik wasn't appropriate for people with MS. I'm in the UK so it may be that the US view it differently?

Comment

Hello!
          Well, I've decided to skip the surgery for now because I couldn't make up my mind.. I live in India..and the docs I met said they'd never done the procedure for anyone with MS although they don't think it should be a problem.
          Great to hear about your lasik though!

Comment

Irene,
            I don't see why you couldn't. I had LASIK done 6 months before being diagnosed with MS... so I am sure I actually had MS when the surgery was performed, it just wasn't identified until a few months later. I had no issues. Best of luck.

Comment

Ah! Thanks all, I just had a flare (my first post diagnosis) and the last thing I want now is to mess with my eyes!

Comment

Chiming in here to say I had LASIK 2 years ago and love it. I have had optic neurotitis in both eyes (2 different attacks) and was told that the worse thing that would happen is that MS would cause my eyesight to decline and no amount of LASIK would fix that.

I hope you feel better soon.

Comment

I just went to another senior ophthalmologist (regular check up) and I mentioned LASIK to him.. he said he really does not recommend LASIK as every time I have a flare and get treated with steroids, there is a chance my ocular pressure could change. He said he did not have enough evidence to show it was absolutely harmless, even though he hadn't seen any bad cases.

Comment

Working...
                  X