This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• COOLING VEST bonus reviews for members

ActiveMSers has exhaustively tested and reviewed over 20 cooling vests since our founding in 2006. The full cooling vest guide with our top recommendations can be found here: https://www.activemsers.org/cooling-vest-guide

In this thread we offer exclusive insight into our testing and bonus coverage of the vests we reviewed. Individual vests are covered in separate posts. To see if the vest you are interested in has been reviewed, we recommend you use the forum's search feature. Before we completed our subjective review (areas we evaluated are detailed below), we tested the cooling inserts for endurance and the vests themselves for safety. Some newer reviews do not have the same review detail, sorry.

ENDURANCE TESTING

Our first test established a baseline for performance expectations. The objective extreme hot weather test involved placing a fully charged cooling element (placed overnight in a 0°F freezer) from each vest—or in the case of vests without removable elements, the vest itself—on a surface preheated to 98°F (aka, stone patio table in sun). The elements were monitored until failure, noted in parentheses in the following list. Gel vests failed first, followed by ice elements and smaller phase change elements. First Line Technology’s pack and the largest of the phase change inserts failed last.
    • IZI Body Cooling Vest (40 minutes)
    • Polar Products Cool Comfort Hybrid Vest (50 minutes)
    • Arctic Heat Ice Vest (55 minutes)
    • StaCool ThermoPak (60 minutes)
    • Coolture CoolPak (60 minutes)
    • Maranda FlexiFreeze Panel (60 minutes)
    • Steele Thermo-Strips (60 minutes)
    • Polar Products Soft Ice (60 minutes)
    • TechNiche CoolPax (60 minutes)
    • Polar Products Cool58 400g (60 minutes)
    • First Line Technology PhaseCore (65 minutes)
    • Thermapparel PCM (not tested)
    • Glacier Tek RPCM (80 minutes)
    • Glacier Tek Flex Vest Packs (not tested)
    • Polar Products Cool58 500g (85 minutes)

SAFETY TESTING

Our second objective test was a coldness test to gauge vest safety. In our 2011 test we found temperatures too low to recommend two of the four vests tested. The Mayo Clinic recommends icing injuries no more than 20 minutes to prevent frostbite. For a control, I filled a Ziploc bag with ice from my 0°F freezer, covered it with a T-shirt (experts also recommend a thin towel for static ice application), and measured temps below the T-shirt. Temperatures dipped as low as 36°F. I retested with a fresh batch of ice and without a T-shirt, and temps fell a full 9 degrees cooler, down to 27°F. Vests were measured similarly, and all but one of the ice-powered vests failed. The Steele ice vest plunged into the 20s, while the Polar Fashion ice vest and the FlexiFreeze ice vest dipped into the mid 30s for extended periods of time. For this reason, ActiveMSers cautions users to add an extra clothing layer for protection with these three vests.

SUBJECTIVE RANKING

Our last round of testing focused on subjective matters. Basically, how much does this Dave guy really know about cooling vests, which he’s studied for years and about which he has gotten regular input from some of the leading cooling researchers in the world (one of whom happens to be a professor in his home state). Vests were ranked in the following categories on a scale of 1-5 (5 being the highest). Note that low rankings in certain areas may not be applicable when it comes to your needs for a cooling vest. For example, if your weight tends not to fluctuate, purchasing a fitted vest with little adjustability is not much of a concern. If you only plan to wear the vest over your clothes, concealability is moot.

Design
    How smartly put together is the vest? Are the cooling packs easy to insert, does the Velcro need extra attention to line up, are pockets in the right places? Are there any obvious flaws?

Fit
    How well does the vest fit? Is it too baggy or too confining? Is there gapping where there shouldn’t be gapping? Does it properly hang over the shoulders? Is movement restricted?

Adjustability
    How adjustable is the vest? Can the wearer adjust fitting around the chest? The waist? The shoulders? If your new diet/exercise routine is successful and you lose 15 lbs, can you adjust the vest to make it fit? Can your skinnier/fatter cousin borrow it?

Endurance
    How long does the vest perform when worn as directed? If a vest is geared toward athletics, how long does the vest last taking into account the increased body heat generated by exercising?

Comfort
    How comfortable is the vest to wear, sit in, lie down in, walk in? Do the cooling packs feel comfortable on your body or are they too lumpy? Does the vest accommodate plus sizes well?

Convenience
    Does the entire vest or individual cold packs need to be frozen? Is the vest easy to put on, store? When your spouse buys frozen chicken from Costco, will it necessitate removing the vest or ice elements for a few days from the freezer to make room?

Concealability
    Can the vest be worn under clothing, and if so, how hidden is the vest? Does the collar show? Will your friends know you are wearing one? Will people whisper “Hulk smash!” behind your back? Is it even a vest you would typically consider wearing under clothing?

Versatility
    Can the vest be used in a variety of situations? Can it be worn to dinner, on the bus on the way to work, to Wednesday night softball, to an outdoor concert, to the gym? Can it handle high humidity? If cooling is depleted, can you recharge it quickly or swap out the exhausted cooling packs for fresh ones?

Portability
    How easy is it to transport the vest and its cooling elements? Do the elements require freezing or just refrigeration? Do they even require precooling? Can they be recharged in ice water? Can the vest be recharged easily outside the home, or do you ideally need a sink (to charge the vest), a washing machine (to dry the vest), and then a freezer large enough to chill the vest (bigger than the hotel mini-bar)?

Quality

How is the workmanship of the vest and its cooling elements? Are quality materials used in construction? Do the seams line up, is the fabric nice? Do the cold packs leak?

Cold Sensitivity
    How comfortable does the vest feel over a single T-shirt in relation to cold? Is it too cold? Is there a risk for frostbite or frostnip (score of 1). Should an extra clothing layer be worn for safety?

Dryness
    Does the vest make the wearer’s clothes damp? Will condensation from melting cooling elements wet the vest? Does the vest need to be immersed in water to activate? Does frost build up on the cooling elements when frozen?

The following reviews are in no specific order. Read on!
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Review: Thermapparel UnderCool Cooling Vest

Review: Thermapparel UnderCool Cooling Vest

One frustrating fact of cooling vests is that they tend to be bulky, clunky, heavy, and most announce their presence like a 6-pound cyst growing out of your neck. People don’t want to stare or ask questions… but then they stare and ask questions. Thermapparel is flipping the script and has designed a vest—the UnderCool—that is virtually completely hidden, weighs less than two pounds, and lasts longer than many of their larger, full-vest competitors. Heck, it's even slimming! Now, to reach these impressive benchmarks there naturally is a bit of give and take in the design, but not as much as one would think.

The UnderCool is ultra lightweight and stretchy, think shear (and comfy) yoga pants, and comes in four sizes (S, M, L, XL), two colors (white is new), cinching at the abdomen with Velcro. Cooling comes from four phase change (PCM) cooling packs that are inserted into the back of the garment—there is no cooling on the chest. We expected this to be a noticeable negative, but in our testing we still felt refreshed. And a huge side benefit of no cooling packs on the chest: there are no cooling packs on the chest. Women (and men) of all chest sizes can wear this comfortably and stealthily. No lumps, no tell-tale signs of a vest sticking out of collars, no uncomfortable placement of the packs over a bosom. Because the vest uses PCM to cool, they can recharge quickly in a fridge or freezer, and the packs, while cold, are not too cold. The vest is can be worn over a light t-shirt or directly on the skin and, although I have no experience in this department, I suspect it feels a bit like wearing a well-fitted bra. You don’t really notice it.

We tested this vest both indoors and outdoors in a variety of conditions. On a moderately warm day with temps in the lower 80s, the vest lasted about an hour and a half during heavy exercise before its cooling power was fully exhausted (an hour in hotter temps). Not world beating, but solid, especially considering its weight. In the high sun, I did miss somewhat the cooling on the chest that other vests offer. Indoors and under clothes was another story. The vest easily lasted a full two hours. I wore it for an extra hour and it still didn’t feel “hot” or uncomfortable. This makes it ideal for wearing out to dinner, to a movie, to a parent-teacher conference, out gardening, to that neighborhood barbeque, or to that musical you don’t really want to see but your spouse is making you go. You name it. Sports? Absolutely. There may be better options for max cooling during exercise, but to be able to wear this while running (so comfortable and unnoticeable) or under a t-shirt at the gym in full stealth mode is invaluable.

Is the UnderCool a game changer? I’ll say for most MSers, absolutely. The only issue I could pick at, and it is a stretch, is that the cooling packs are hard to insert, but that’s not a biggie because you can toss the entire vest into the freezer and it takes up no more room than a half gallon of ice cream. Indeed, I've never removed them. If you had an extra vest, you could just rotate them throughout the day. Brilliant! (Of course if you are in the office, you’ll need to hit the restroom or close your office door to do the swap.) I’ve tested many vests and few stay in my rotation after my review is complete. This one is a definite keeper and gets ActiveMSers' highest recommendation.

Design: 5

Fit: 5

Adjustability: 5

Endurance: 3

Comfort: 5

Convenience: 4

Concealability: 5

Versatility: 5

Sports: 5

Portability: 4

Quality: 5

Cold Sensitivity: 4

Dryness: 5

Weight: 1 lb 11 oz
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: First Line Technology Standard Cooling Vest

Review: First Line Technology Standard Cooling Vest

At first blush, the standard cooling vest from First Line Technology seemed destined to fail. A cooling vest that activates at 82.4°F (28°C) and has a reported ultimate cooling effect of a measly 72°F? Why bother, since MSers like it cold. Damn you, science. It aced every test, every challenge. Concealability? Better than all vests except one by a long shot in our reviews. Strangers polled didn’t notice it under my loose-fitting button-down shirt. Best friends didn’t notice. Jesus, my own mother didn’t notice! Sports? Since it fits so snuggly and is one of the lighter vests tested, it doesn’t bounce around, and the flat PhaseCore panels make it ideal for weightlifting, sit-ups and anything else on terra firma. Comfort? The panels are not only razor thin, but there are 16 of them, so they fit around many body shapes. You can even take a nap comfortably. Convenience? Grab, put on—done. No cold packs, no freezer, no water, nothing. I can't emphasize enough how important this is, as the more time it takes to assemble your vest before you step out of your front door, the less likely you are to bother.

The PhaseCore packs (we recommend the 28, as the 32 activate at to too high of temperatures for typical use) last for about three hours before they start to soften, and some may last as long as four hours. Then remove the vest, lay it flat, and it will recharge in 2-4 hours at room temperature. If speed is required, toss the vest in the freezer for a half hour, or even faster: take out the PhaseCore packs and immerse then in ice water (add salt and the slurry will cool them in under five minutes!). Design, fit, adjustability, endurance, dryness, portability, cold sensitivity (ha!), whatever. Aces. Women also judged this vest to be among the most comfortable of all those trialed. Note the snug fit around the hips (slimming!) and how it drops down lower on the lower back--better for cooling and to prevent the vest from riding up when sitting. Even if you are oversized, there is an extender kit available (not tested). Want to precool before an event? Toss the entire vest in the freezer for a few hours and you'll get over 30 minutes of downright chilly temps.

I still wasn’t a believer, so I kept testing. A dinner outdoors in 90°F temps was comfortable (when just hours earlier I was hammered despite cooler temperatures in an art gallery). Exercising at max effort with the vest meant more endurance and a quicker recovery. I tried to make it fail, and I failed. Alas, its price exceeds that of all vests we’ve tested (naturally), but First Line Technology (as well as other manufacturers) are offering discounted pricing for members of ActiveMSers. I guess now I’ll have my hands full harassing the insurance industry to accept cooling vests as a standard treatment for multiple sclerosis. (As many of you know, don’t doubt my resolve.) Other than price, are there any drawbacks? Since the PhaseCore cooling packs are small to better fit the contours of your body, the entire 16 packs take a minute or so to fully extract/reinsert. And no, you won’t “feel” cold, especially after wearing the vest for a half hour, giving your body time to acclimate. You will be convinced it’s not working and curse my name. Your brain will tell you you are hotter. But when that happens, twist the vest an inch to either side. Does it feel cool again? Surprise, it's still doing its magic, faithfully absorbing your body heat. And when you are sure you are at risk for that dreaded overheating with multiple sclerosis—heck, you might even be sweating, as your body's natural cooling mechanism kicks in—you'll notice your vision is still okay, your walking isn’t too bad, your brain isn't fuzzy, and your fatigue isn’t burying you. For me, the FLT vest works just as effectively on heat-related MS symptoms as other, colder, cooling vests, arguably even more so. I guess I better keep on testing....

There are two other First Line Technology vests that we've tested, the Standard Mesh and the XPC, both ranked highly as well. The Standard Mesh cooling vest is similar to this Standard but uses the lighter mesh and comes in smaller sizes and the color white. The Standard Mesh vest is reviewed here. The the new XPC has an intriguing design and is best for larger body types. It is reviewed here.

Endurance: 4

Convenience: 5

Concealability: 4

Sports: 4

Portability: 5

Cold Sensitivity: 5

Weight: 3 lbs 12 oz
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: First Line Technology Standard Mesh Cooling Vest

Review: First Line Technology Standard Mesh Cooling Vest

When we discovered First Line Technology’s Standard Cooling Vest, it quickly cemented its place as one of our top-reviewed vests, which you can read about in detail here. The vest was virtually all aces in convenience, concealability, comfort, and cooling duration. But, and there has to be a but, it didn’t work for some users. Originally developed for industrial and military uses, the vest was a bit too large for petit users (and a no-go for children), and a bit too awkward for users with larger chests, especially women. First Line Technology listened to their users and developed two new vests: the XPC Cooling Vest reviewed here and the Standard Mesh Cooling Vest with an extra small option.

The Mesh vest functions and wears virtually the same as the Standard with a few key details, starting with the mesh. The mesh is slightly lighter, saving about an ounce, and a bit more breathable. The extra breathability is most noticeable on bike rides, etc., when you’ve got steady airflow. There is a tradeoff, as the fabric used on Standard is more durable than the mesh, a factor if the vest is worn mostly over clothes. Worn under clothes, the mesh vest is the preferred choice. The Mesh vest also comes in white, a cooler option, albeit a more stain-friendly option, an issue for the Pig Pens of the world. (I’ve already managed to smarm our test version.)

Perhaps the most critical difference between the Standard and Mesh vests comes down to sizing. The Mesh vest fits a little snugger and now comes in an XS size for children or petit users. That vest drops two cooling packs (14 instead of 16) and is even lighter (estimated 3.5 lbs). Overall, the First Line Technology series of vests continues to shine, and we are encouraged by their willingness to change up their line to better accommodate multiple sclerosis users of all shapes and sizes.

Weight: 3 lbs 11 oz
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: First Line Technology XPC Cooling Vest

Review: First Line Technology XPC Cooling Vest

When we first tested the cooling vests from First Line Technology, they basically knocked it out of the park, which surprised the heck out of us. They all feature PhaseCore cooling panels that activate at 82.4°F (28°C) and have a reported ultimate cooling effect of 72°F, so their vests are never really cold cold. Just cool. But they work, as we discovered in test after test of their Standard Vest. Instead of rehashing our findings, read our review here. For 2016, the manufacturer, after getting feedback from MSers, developed their XPC Cooling Vest. This vest also impresses, improving in a number of areas, but it’s not a home run for every potential user. Explanations are in order.

The XPC cools the same as the Standard, but the fit is quite different—a blessing for some, a negative for others. The front-zip format of the XPC works best with larger bodies and is not appropriate for tiny folks. The vest actually can be adjusted into four sizes with its innovative removable side panels called extenders that zip quickly into place. Use no extenders for medium, one small extender for large, one large extender for extra large, and both the small and large extender for double XL. At the smallest size, the vest fits my petit wife only okay (she is 5’8” and skinny) and it’s not quite as form-fitting as the poncho type, dinging slightly its ranking for fit, concealbility, and sports. For larger users, though, the extra room is a boon, and the zip-up V-neck works for a variety of chest and bust sizes (33 to 50 inches), a common issue with cooling vests.

The mesh vest features a few other nice touches that might go unnoticed. The cooling packs are zippered in instead of being tucked in, making them easier to remove in order to recharge them. The neckline is designed fairly openly, so the slim-profile vest will remain generally well hidden beneath clothes and will not peek out around the collar. And there are 21 cooling packs compared to 16 on the Standard, providing more cooling power. The extra cooling, however, does add length (hurting potential concealability a touch) and weight, adding an extra pound, a drawback. Overall the XPC impresses for larger body types, but this reviewer prefers the Standard, either Basic or Mesh, for its snugger fit.

Design: 4

Fit: 4

Adjustability: 4

Comfort: 4

Concealability: 3

Versatility: 4

Sports: 3

Weight: 4 lbs 11 oz
          Dave Bexfield
          ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: Glacier Tek Flex Vest

Review: Glacier Tek Flex Vest

Cooling vest manufacturers are continually upping their game, and Glacier Tek’s new Flex Vest, introduced in 2016, improves in all the right areas on a perennial ActiveMSers favorite. Their original Concealable RPCM has always been a standout performer in our tests, even though it lacked the comfort and concealability (despite the name) of other vests. The Flex Vest is an about face, easily one of the most comfortable vests on the market today and arguably one of the better ones to wear under clothes. The fabric is fantastic, with a bit of flex so the vest stays tight to the body, essential for a proper cooling vest. The neckline is cut a bit lower so the vest can be worn stealthily under clothing, but it looks great and stylish on its own, a rarity in all of our testing. Twelve thinish cooling packs tuck into myriad pockets around the inside of the vest, providing ample cooling coverage, considerably more than their original vest. As with all phase change packs, they recharge quickly in ice water (or freezer) and stay dry regardless of humidity. A niggle: the cooling packs can fall out if the vest is tilted upside down, a negative for trapeze artists (or when not taking care when putting it on).

To achieve comfort and concealability, the Flex Vest had to make a sacrifice in cooling endurance. Instead of lasting as long as four hours like their other RPCM vest, the newest offering from Glacier Tek cools effectively for about two hours. But that is a minor drawback, especially since the manufacturer includes an extra 12 packs with every vest purchase, so when cooling is exhausted, a fresh set of packs can be swapped in. If that’s not enough to convince you, I’ve got a “But wait, there’s more!” coming. The vest comes in four sizes, with the smallest being kid friendly (even the cooling packs are smaller). Thoughtful, quality design and dependable performance pushes the Flex Vest into a stratosphere to rival any vest on the market today.

Adjustability: 1

Weight: 4 lbs 10 oz
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: Glacier Tek Concealable RPCM Cooling Vest

Review: Glacier Tek Concealable RPCM Cooling Vest

Glacier Tek’s Concealable RPCM Cooling Vest surprised us in our original 2011 testing with strong numbers across the board. Since then, other manufacturers have been gaining ground and we've tested far more vests, and while the RPCM vest still gets accolades for all around performance, its comfort with some body types is questionable. Its poncho design with two large velcro bands is easy to handle—even with bumbly MS fingers—and is quick to cinch tight to the chest. Since the packs are phase change, they recharge quickly in ice water, great if you are on the go, and stay blissfully dry in all levels of humidity. Expect a reliable 4+ hours of cooling in optimal conditions (room temperatures), among the longest lasting cooling power of vests tested.

Although the Glacier Tek is called a “concealable” vest, it’s really not unless you only frequent darkened movie theaters, dimly lit nightclubs, and conventions for the seeing impaired. We've also learned from feedback that women with larger busts do not find the vest pleasant to wear. Additionally, these types of larger phase change vests (like the 500g Polar58) don’t feel terribly comfortable on your back when you are reclined, seated, or doing those darn hamstring bridge exercises. Even so, this vest remains an ActiveMSers favorite for MS heat relief, with reliable, long-lasting cooling that's not too cold.

Fit: 3

Endurance: 5

Comfort: 3

Versatility: 3

Quality: 4

Weight: 5 lbs 1 oz
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: TechNiche Intl Hybrid Elite Sport Cooling Vest

Review: TechNiche Intl Hybrid Elite Sport Cooling Vest

Versatility in a cooling vest is a big advantage, so when TechNiche International sent ActiveMSers their Hybrid Elite Sport Cooling Vest for testing, the deck appeared to be stacked. The vest, a true hybrid, can be cooled by its low-profile phase change packs, which we found last a solid two and a half hours, or by evaporative cooling through its HyperKewl fabric, which can provide hours of additional relief. When the cooling packs are exhausted, removing them and soaking the vest in water for a couple of minutes activates the HyperKewl, dropping over a pound and a half in the process. In testing, we preferred the phase change over the evaporative cooling, but the flexibility is especially appealing when on the move (imagine quickly charging the vest in a cold mountain stream while hiking).

Unlike most of the vests in this test, loose-fitting clothes can also be worn over this vest when using the cooling packs, the added bulk being not very noticeable. There are small design touches that further impress, like Velcro tabs on the cooling packs to prevent them from sliding down in the vest. But all is not perfect in this department. Sliding said cooling packs into the mesh pockets is trying, as the sharp plastic corners of the packs frequently get caught up. This is somewhat remedied by a small trim of the corners with a pair of scissors. Fit is good but not perfect, as upper body movement feels a bit constricted when the packs are solid, especially when moving the arms inward. These are minor issues, though, compared to the build quality of the test vest, with seams that appear to be splitting as zoom-in photographs show. Is it widespread sloppy construction or did we just get a bad example? (For the record, the vest is made in China, the phase change squares in the United States.) Still, this TechNiche International vest notches above average scores in many categories of our test. Women gave it high marks in chest comfort. Evaporative ratings are in parenthesis.

Quality: 2

Dryness: 5 (1)

Weight: 3lb 15oz (2 lbs 5 oz)
                Dave Bexfield
                ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: Polar Cool58 Phase Change Zipper Vest

Review: Polar Cool58 Phase Change Zipper Vest

Three different phase change packs are available for Polar’s Cool58 zipper vests and we tested the two lightest (the heaviest would put the vest close to 8 lbs, too heavy for most Msers). The 400g cooling packs (pictured at right and in the top row below) are a set of 8 phase change squares that cool to a reported 58°F. These lasted a reliable 3 hours in room temperature conditions, while the 500g cooling packs (four larger connected tubes) lasted over 4 hours, easily among the best performers of the entire test. We like each style of cooling pack for separate reason.

The vest is the same basic design as their popular Kool Max vest, and it is fairly easy to adjust and customize the fit. Getting the right fit at first can be awkward and may require a bit of trial and error, but that’s a one-time deal. We found the 400g packs more comfortable overall, especially when seated as the packs are flatter. For women, the smaller packs fit the chest better as well. However, as the packs “thawed,” the smaller ones had a tendency to slide down and may bunch slightly, unlike the 500g packs, which stayed in position more reliably. Since phase change packs can be recharged quickly in ice water, these vests are easily portable. This vest and the Glacier Tek vest are tops in endurance and make reliable options for over-clothes cooling. Note: scores specific to the 400g cooling packs are in parentheses.

Design: 3

Endurance: 5 (4)

Comfort: 3 (4)

Concealability: 1 (2)

Sports: 2 (3)

Quality: 3

Weight: 5 lbs 6 oz (4lbs 6 oz)
                  Dave Bexfield
                  ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: Oro Sports Signature Cooling Vest

Review: Oro Sports (Coolture) Signature Cooling Vest

Cooling vests aren’t supposed to be attractive. They are supposed to be bulky behemoths best suited for operating drilling rigs or laying hot asphalt—repurposed in pink to appeal to someone with multiple sclerosis. Coolture has turned that attitude on its head, in large part because their team is anchored by Van DiBernardo, a former designer from the renowned fashion powerhouse Donna Karan New York (DKNY)… and a fellow MSer. The vest is cooled by six CoolPaks (the same technology used by StaCool), and two sets come with each order so that users can swap out panels for all-day cooling. These packs start as sheets of plastic that plump when activated by water and agitation. When they are used for the first few times, they feel a bit slimy (not damaging to clothing). And to plump them fully, hand-agitation might not be sufficient, although tossing them in with a hot laundry load usually does the trick (just don’t dry them!). The packs cool for three hours, but due to condensation the vest may dampen clothing.

The Coolture vest includes a patent-pending “weightless belt” to better distribute weight and ensure a snug but comfortable fit. With full four cooling slots in the back for max cooling, users could remove one or even two to lighten the vest without significant penalty in the chill department. While the vest is designed to the 9s (and even includes a NASA-tested lining that absorbs heat), ActiveMSers deducted a point in its comfort and fit rating because when seated the vest can ride up (see photo), necessitating a quick tug or lowering of the zipper. Due to the adjustable vest design in the midsection and the more conforming cool packs, this vest is appropriate and comfortable for plus sizes. For added style, Coolture offers the unusual feature of being able to add your own custom graphics for as little as $30, a steal for a custom vest with personal attitude.

Convenience: 3

Concealability: 2

Portability: 2

Cold Sensitivity: 3

Dryness: 2

Weight: 5 lbs 1 oz
                    Dave Bexfield
                    ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: Coolsport Vestino

Review: Coolsport Vestino (Coolture CoolSport)

I’ve tested cooling vests dating back to 2006. So many cooling vests. And over that time, few vests make such an impact that I keep one in my freezer at all times. Coolture’s new CoolSport is one of those vests. A quick back story on Coolture. The business was started by Luanne and Van DiBernardo. Van is a former designer from the renowned fashion powerhouse Donna Karan New York (DKNY) and a fellow MSer. Luanne? She’s a cool cat and his brother, and also the engine behind the business. Together they’ve built up a solid company with an impressive alignment of vests and a history of giving back to the MS community. Their newest vest checks off a number of boxes that make the CoolSport particularly appealing.

Perhaps the biggest detriment of cooling vests on the market today is bulk. Designs have thankfully moved away from airport tarmac worker and Unabomber chic, but even so, heft and clunkiness continue to be an issue. And for MSers, that means many vests are one-and-doners—wear it once, discover it’s too heavy, followed by an unceremonious burial in the back of a closet waiting to be Kondoed. Enter the CoolSport. The “vest” saves bulk by cooling just the spine, so it’s not so much a vest as it is targeted cooling. Even so, it did the job of taming many of my MS symptoms that come on due to heat—impressive for one of the lightest vests we’ve ever tested, a shade under 1 lb 3 oz. Expect cooling to last an hour or so in warm conditions outdoors, or about two hours in a climate-controlled environment. You’ll stay mostly dry, but as the vest thaws you may get some minor dampness.

The design is mostly aces, but I am a nitpicker. The Velcro straps are nice for adjustability (and can be adjusted to accommodate myriad breast sizes), but you have to take some care when putting on the vest to avoid accidentally unattaching a strap. And concealability is good, among the best we’ve tested, but tighter-fitting clothing will unmask its stealthiness as you can see in the photos—the back has a slight hump and the front Velcro waistband may announce its presence. Speaking of which, the band may be a boon for some (um, it has an “uplifting” effect) or a bust for others (the band could literally get in the way of your bust). And while I like the cooling packs, they must be frozen solid and cannot be recharged in ice or a refrigerator. But these minor niggles are easy to overlook when you catch the price: retail is $68.99! And with discount pricing and the ActiveMSers member discount ($10 off), a vest of this quality can be an unbelievable steal at less than $50 if you catch the sales right. You will not find a better bargain.

Portability: 3

Dryness: 3

Weight: 1 lb 3 oz
                      Dave Bexfield
                      ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: StaCool Under Vest

Review: StaCool Under Vest

Cooling vest manufacturers and claims of superiority are as ubiquitous as Cheerios in the backseat of a parent’s minivan. StaCool claims to be the “original” cooling vest, although patents for cooling vests have been filed since the early 1900s and—after extensive research on Google for 10 minutes—their name is curiously absent in those first patents. Ah, but StaCool boasts aside, they do make a solid, versatile vest, one that was originally designed for multiple sclerosis patients. The breathable neoprene vest is cooled by four large ThermoPaks (the same technology used by Coolture). These packs start as sheets of plastic that plump when activated by water and agitation. Unlike the gel vests of ArcticHeat, Polar and IZI, once activated, they tend to stay activated. A couple notes about ThermoPaks. When they are used for the first few times, they feel a bit slimy (not damaging to clothing). And to plump them fully, hand-agitation might not be sufficient, although tossing them in with a hot laundry load usually does the trick (just don’t dry them!). The packs cool for a consistent three hours and, due to the vest’s neoprene construction, condensation does not penetrate so clothes stay dry. Two sets of ThermoPaks are included with every order, an added bonus.

The StaCool vest is streamlined and (for men) can be worn under loose-fitting clothes, although the neckline will likely show since it is rather tight. The vest could stand to be more comfortable, especially when seated, as it pinches the neck. To pick further nits, the appearance of the vest is not quite as sharp as it appears in promotional photos as the StaCool at first glance looks to be inside-out. It also tends to bunch and stretch in places. Even with these minor dings in design and quality, StaCool hits the mark in a number of areas, making it one of the more appealing vests on the market, ranking above average in many categories.

Design: 3

Dryness: 4

Weight: 4 lbs
                        Dave Bexfield
                        ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: Arctic Heat Ice Vest

Review: Arctic Heat Ice Vest

The Arctic Heat cooling vest has been in my arsenal to combat MS heat stress longer than any other vest I’ve tested—8 years (my original review published in 2006 is below). And while it continues to perform as advertised, the well-made vest has not been used as much lately as I’ve played few outdoor sports that involve running—the vest’s true specialty. Lightweight and form fitting, the Arctic Heat vest excels at athletics, reportedly being used around the world by professional sports teams. But after testing over a dozen other vests, it lacks the versatility and endurance of vests with removable cooling. The entire vest needs to be frozen (potentially a challenge with a full freezer) and should be laid relatively flat or else you’ll end up with a ball of frozen vest that’s difficult to unfurl. While the vest’s lightness (second lightest in our tests) makes it a natural for sport, that also translates into less cooling power, meaning only an average score our endurance category. Expect cooling to last about an hour during heavy exercise and up to two hours in ideal situations. Perfect for a 5-mile run, less than ideal for a 3-hour bike ride, although users can douse the vest with cold water to extend cooling a touch through evaporation.

For those who put fashion above all else, it should be noted that the attractiveness of the vest is mitigated somewhat in its frozen state, as the gel ribs are stiff and pointy rather than form fitting, costing a point in the comfort category. Notice the back ribs of the frozen vest (not shown in marketing photos) compared to the ribs of a thawed vest. Also the vest, which needs soaking to activate initially (a one-time process as long as the vest is returned to the freezer after use), will dampen your shirt more than phase change or traditional ice cooling vests. Although the vest is considerably drier after the first few uses, it builds up frost when stored in the freezer. I did make a point in my earlier review that this vest is super compact uncharged, but charging it properly when traveling presents myriad challenges. Overall this vest impresses for use in activities so critical to keeping MSers healthy--jogging, tennis, brisk walking, aerobics, cross fit, hiking, or even frisbee with your pooch. The Arctic Heat vest—and the IZI Body Cooler—are peerless in the high-intensity sports department.

Convenience: 1

Versatility: 2

Portability: 1

Dryness: 2

Weight: 2 lbs 4 oz
                          Dave Bexfield
                          ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: Polar Products Cool Comfort Hybrid

Review: Polar Products Cool Comfort Hybrid

Polar Products makes a solid cooling vest, as evidenced by their Kool Max and Cool58 products, but their Cool Comfort Hybrid falls a bit short. For a cooling vest to work optimally, it needs to hug the chest, yet this design—even with fabric that has a bit of a stretch—drapes the user. And this type of vest, similar to the ArcticHeat vest, is in theory geared for athletics. Baggy and athletic do not go hand-in-hand. While it is light weight, the vest struggled to last 45 minutes during exercise and was the wettest of the vests we tested. (All vests that required a presoak were dried with a towel and put in the spin cycle in the washing machine for a short while. As long as they are returned to the freezer in due time, the recharge process does not need to be repeated.)

Compounding the fit issue, the design also had some flaws, as the ribs in the back were continuous. Without a break in the center, folding the vest to put it in the freezer (necessary to do in all but the largest of freezers) meant pinching the gel, which didn’t always default to the middle of your back. More critically, vests of this type regularly freeze in funky, deformed shapes (see photos) despite our best efforts to freeze them carefully. Alas, only when they thaw fully do they start to look like their press photos (note: the bottow right photo was taken 24 hours later so the ribs are not fully plump). For vests that you pull out of the freezer and wear, the IZI Body Cooler and Arctic Heat appear to be better choices except for one key factor: price. The Cool Comfort Hybrid costs a fraction of those vests (3X more expensive). If you get a Cool Comfort Hybrid that fits your body properly and shrug your shoulders at its imperfections, you’ve got a screaming deal.

Design: 2

Fit: 2

Endurance: 2

Comfort: 3

Concealability: 2

Versatility: 1

Portability: 1

Cold Sensitivity: 2

Dryness: 1

Weight: 2 lbs 6 oz
                            Dave Bexfield
                            ActiveMSers

Comment

Review: IZI Body Cooling Hydrogel Lined Cooling Vest

Review: IZI Body Cooling Hydrogel Lined Cooling Vest

When it comes to fit and general design, the IZI Body Cooling vest is aces; few vests look and feel this good. And the quality construction of this Dutch-designed apparel is a fantastic match—from the zippered pockets to the reflective ribboning to (urp) the price. The ultra-lightweight vest (only 1 lb 9 oz) also features a true hybrid cooling design, a combination of ice/gel and evaporative. Users initially charge the vest by soaking it in water for 10-20 minutes, which wets the vest and plumps the gel. After drying with a towel and/or a short time on the spin cycle in the washing machine, it can be worn immediately using its evaporative cooling although the vest will still be damp (see wetness footprint photo). For a more powerful cooling effect, carefully fold the vest and freeze it. Unlike the hydrogel vest from Polar and Arctic Heat, this cooling pods on this vest are attractive even in their frozen state, although like those other two vests it may take some cajoling to fully open in order to wear. This, however, highlights the vest’s critical shortfall and why it earns the lowest endurance score in our testing.

The IZI, although it gets exceptionally cold (as low as 34 °F in our safety tests), thaws extremely rapidly, lasting no more than 45 minutes during moderate exercise in a controlled environment. At that point, virtually 100% of cooling power is generated by evaporation, which is largely ineffective in humid climes. That said, the evaporative effect can last days, a full 72 hours according to IZI, and our tests confirm that. Unfortunately for those with multiple sclerosis, that may not be enough to meet cooling needs. For short-term cooling, especially in the sporting arena, the IZI hits on all cylinders and, in arid climates at least, still provides a punch hours after the cooling elements have thawed.

Endurance: 1*

Cold Sensitivity: 2