MS and contact sports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS and contact sports

Hi, I am new to the forum and wanted to ask if any of you play a contact sport of any kind.

I have been a martial artist for the past 15 years and was diagnosed with MS in 2008. My neurologist recently told me that I needed to STOP any full contact activities that might cause a concussion. I am a little confused, because my neuro doc has been aware of my extra curricular activities since I became her patient, but I've never heard her tell me anything like this before. There haven't been any recent developments in my disease progression either, for that matter.

Anyway, I will be looking for a second medical opinion, but I am curious, do any of you play a contact sport, what does your doc have to say about it?

Best,
    Christoff

Cycling is not supposed to be a contact sport but I do seem to make contact with the pavement once or twice a year and I get a mild concussion occasionally, but my neuro has never commented on it. I know you can get a lot of interesting answers from neuro's and PT's if you just keep asking "Why", like "why is a concussion a problem for MS". IMHO the second opinion is a good idea.

Comment

Working...
    X