MS'ers Training in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dave,
    Try to open those link. I it don't work please let me know how to do it.
    Thanks.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...71663848_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...89443104_n.jpg

Comment

Great pics Alain! If you had enough energy left to lift that bike overhead, we need to get you to a more challenging ride. Oh yeah, the jersey and the T look good. Did your daughter ride with you?

I'm firmly back in the saddle. Did 65 miles and 3,000 feet Thursday. According to "Strava" and "Ride With GPS", I hold the penultimate position on several of the climbs - penultimate being next to last! Hope I can pick up the speed a bit otherwise Pell will need a good book to read while she waits for me at the HH. Going to try again tomorrow, maybe I can move up a position or two.

What's next Alain?

Hope I didn't overstep Beth. I had checked your time shortly after you finished and heard about the bombs a couple of hours later. Knew it was close so was very relieved when I saw your tweet. The range of emotion must have been staggering.

Larry

Comment

Larry, I am glad you are back in shape. That was pretty fast recovery!
        Next? I want to ride just for the plaisir and to stay in shape so I am shooting for 100 miles a week.
        I really enjoy riding those event so I will try to do some in France and I am still thinking about your tour of Tucson in November.
        Pell, How is your husband recovery going on?
        Have you decided if you are still doing your trip in France?
        The best to every one.
        Alain

Comment

Got 12 hours in for 168 miles last week. Average speed for the week was 14.1 but was able to hold 14.7 for almost 50 miles yesterday. Also doing yoga twice a week but haven't been and probably won't get back to the weight room for a while yet. I'll be ready for the bike ride though Pell!

Comment

Originally posted by pawpaw View Post
            Larry- Apparently Colorado is a hotbed of MSer who really exercise. My neurologist has no other patients who exercise like we do.
            Pell
            To some extent I think that's right Pell, Colorado has a climate and an atmosphere that promotes an active lifestyle among the populace, MS or not. I also think that the active lifestyle has added benefits for People with MS vs. the general population. I wonder if your neurologist agrees?

Comment

Slow progress here

My sister has been visiting- no cycling, but lots of yard work, cleaning, planting.
              Mike is slowly improving. On Monday he will see the doctor and find out when he can start exercising. We are going to a tandem rally in Northern Virginia in one week. I think Mike will be sitting by the pool and I will be on a single bike.
              Tomorrow I will ride again. I am planning to do about 28-33 miles. I don't see myself getting over 100 miles a week until Mike rides again. Larry, 14.5 is a great speed for a long ride. You have really recovered quickly. I am perfectly happy with that for the Horsey.

Pell

Comment

I capped off the three weeks since I've been back in the saddle with a 70 mile ride at 13.8 on Saturday and a 40 mile ride at 12.4 on Sunday. Needless to say, I was toast on Sunday and it showed big time. Looks like I'm due for a few recovery days.

In the last three weeks I rode 480 miles at an average of 14.0 mph. I wonder what that translates to in neural regeneration? I hope it's a lot, I'd like to get a few more years out of this old bod.

I also did my first ride with the Colo MS team and I got to say, I think we're looking at a banner year here. We've got a super bunch of folks, fun to ride with and fun to be around after we finish, very much the team that originally attracted me to join.

So Pell, that's probably about where I'll be for the HH, 14 or better but less than 15 for the 75 miles. We'll have fun no matter what, and you shouldn't need more than a short novel to read while you wait for me.

Stay active out there, it's the only known therapy for neural regeneration,

AMF

Comment

90 miles in 6 hours for the last week, a recovery week. One more big week long push before a taper and we're on our way Pell. Hope all is well out there and you're arranging some good weather.

Comment

Trying on the weather

Larry- The weather is pretty good- maybe a bit windy. The forecast is for 74 and wind about 5mph with possible rain.
                    I am still feeling that I can do 70 slowly. Has Betty been on the bike yet? She can do the 25 even if she hasn't been on a bike. It has a rest stop and it's a pretty ride.
                    Do you want to ride Friday and/or Sunday?
                    We went to the Northern Neck of Virginia for a long weekend. I pushed Mike around for a couple of rides but on Sunday he was able to pedal. It was a great place to ride as there was little elevation. On a 42 mile ride, I did all the pedaling so I was glad there were few hills.
                    See you soon.

Pell

Comment

Hello Larry and Pell

I wish you a great and fun week end !!
                      Maybe one day the stars are well aligned and I can ride with you.

I will be leaving for France tomorrow with my two daughters and their sweet heart so I won't ride much while with them, for couple weeks.

After I will get back in the routine: Ride, Eat, Siesta and Petanque !!!
                      I hope to find time to let you know.

Best luck to every one
                      Alain

Comment

new trainer

Hi all,

I've been working with a new trainer for the past 5 weeks and I'm pretty pleased. We started very slowly on the spin bike-15 seconds on, 90seconds break for 10 minutes- followed by various strengthening exercise, some of which I've already been doing, ending with some phenomenal stretching. Getting on the bike is geting easier-not on my own yet, but I can see this is within reach, and I'm up to 2 minutes on and 1 minute off for 12-15 minutes. My left leg is much straighter and is less prone to rotating internally. It's been nice to have someone help me with all this and encourage me- I've been so used to doing it on my own-it's a nice boost. I'm also in my pool so all in all, I'm happy. This is all helping me prepare for the ocean swim portion of triathalon this summer in my community in Cape Breton,Nova Scotia. It's not until the end of July so I feel like I've got a good start on things. I will work with him until the end of June at which point I'll be in Cape Breton where I can start ocean training and continue with my strengthening routine.

Have a great ride and I look forward to the next installment.

Teena Marie

Comment

Snakes….I hate snakes

I don’t really hate snakes, live and let live I figure. But I was bopping down the bike trail the other day and ran over one. It was laid across the whole trail. I didn’t see it in time and couldn’t miss it. About a mile later I came across another one, sunning itself, hogging the whole trail, except for 6 inches of open pavement between it’s tail and the edge. I threaded the 6 inches perfectly but the SOB turned and took a swipe at me anyway. So much for trying to avoid snakes!

I’ve got 135 miles in so far. If I get the 50 I’m planning tomorrow that will give me 185 for the week. Then it’s off to taper land, Kentucky and the Blue Ridge Parkway. We’re as good as on the way Pell. DW did get on her bike the other day but only to try out a new pair of MTB shoes, her first pair of clipless shoes. She says she’s going to ride the 26-mile route. We’ll see. Maybe I can get her to ride a little while we’re on the way.

Thanks Alain, you wouldn’t be planning to see a bit of the TDF up close would you? I’ve never played Petanque but I did step foot on a Bocce ball court once. The home court rule was that you had to throw the ball with one hand while holding your beer in the other. Negative points were awarded for spilled beer of course, I don't suppose you play Petanque like that. I’ll fill you in on Kentucky and the Blue Ridge when I return.

TM, love seeing the progress you are making on the bike and glad to hear the personal trainer is working out so well. I’m thinking maybe your pool isn’t heated since you’re training for a swim in the North Atlantic! What water temperature are you expecting up there anyway? Pretty amazing TM, look forward to hearing more about that, and the bike.

I’ll check in when I get back if not sooner, stay safe,

AMF

Comment

water temperature

No, my pool isn't heated. I've been swimming in 58 degree water which is pretty intense. The cold does help but I know I have to be careful. I had a medical visit which included vital signs and my temperature didn't register on the thermometer. The nurse kept saying there was something wrong with the machine so I suggested we wait and take it later at which point it registered but very low.

Have a great ride.

Teena Marie

Comment

training,spin bike

Hi all,

I hope the ride is amazing. I look forward to the news. My trainer couldn't come at the last minute last week. I was all ready at the bike so I decided to just keep trying and succeeded in getting on myself and doing 10 minutes continuously followed by a good strengthening routine, It felt so amazing and have since achieved this 2 other times. My trainer-who is studying olympic weight lifting-has taught me to think of training in percentages. For example, 80%, or, as I was exhausted last Sunday, just go at 30%. Which is what I did so I was able to train despite not feeling up to par. Squats are one of the most helpful exercises and now do 3 sets of 10.

Take good care,

Teena Marie

Comment

Post Horsey report

Larry will provide a more eloquent report, but I wanted to check in with a quick update. Larry and Betty were here in Kentucky from Thursday to Monday. The weather couldn't have been better- cool, minimal wind and occasional sun. We rode 26 miles on Friday to "get the kinks out". Saturday we rode a hilly but scenic 60 mile route with about 3600 feet of elevation change.
                                Sunday, to my surprise, we rode another beautiful 52 mile route with 3100 feet of climbing. Larry says we have continuous hills here in Kentucky. I guess I always thought we didn't have many serious hills. We actually skipped the hilly routes!
                                It was great to have them here and to ride with Larry. He is a very strong, steady rider and a great guy= terrific weekend of riding and visiting.
                                Pell

Comment

Working...
                                X