Running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running

I recently finished my 7th half marathon with a personal best of 2 hrs 53 mins. I went from walking most of my first in 4 hrs 5 mins to running all of it.

I enjoy the challenge and it is something my husband and I do together...although he is much faster. He does full marathons in under 4 hrs. No, he does not have MS.

What do you do to manage pain and stiffness? I have baclofen and ibuprofen. I do tons of stretching, have a foam roller and "the stick", and get massages sometimes. I'm struggling with pain in my legs that totally stinks during run recovery.

Glad to meet you all
    Nicole

Congrats on your latest 1/2 and the new PB.

As far as pain relief, other than what you're already doing, I've found an ice bath or very cold water on the legs and low back to provide the most and longest lasting relief. I only do it about once a week after my hardest workout and only for 5 to 10 minutes. If you haven't tried it, give it a shot, I think you'll be amazed.

Comment

Nicole, Congratulations on 7 half marathons. It is great to stay as active as possible. Sounds like you are doing all the right things, so I don't have much to add to help you out, other than a nice recovery walk the evening or day after a hard run will sometimes help get rid of a little of my soreness.

Comment

I totally second AMF's treatment. Ice cold water does wonders for me, with Epsom salts as well.

I hope you're patting yourself on the back. Great job.

Teena Marie

Comment

Thanks

I love Epsom salt baths. I haven't tried the cold bath yet. It's been extra challenging lately because my pain level has increased a lot recently just as a daily occurrence and much worse with training. I keep trucking along!

We are going to run the first Banff National Park marathon/half marathon in June. It'll be my first time in that part of Canada.

Comment

BED, you are going to love Banff. When I went with Laura a few years ago I got so many great photos, especially on the drive up to Jasper. Here's one of our favorites. Good luck in your run!
            Attached Files
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

I've had a lot of success with acupuncture.

Comment

Working...
              X