Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RECRUITING: The role of exercise in modifying outcomes for MSer, a randomized trial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RECRUITING: The role of exercise in modifying outcomes for MSer, a randomized trial

Although this study is in Montreal, I'm posting it here because researchers are starting to really pay attention to exercise and MS. - Dave

The role of exercise in modifying outcomes for people with multiple sclerosis: a randomized trial

Nancy E Mayo, Mark Bayley, Pierre Duquette, Yves Lapierre, Ross Anderson and Susan Bartlett

BMC Neurology 2013, 13:69 doi:10.1186/1471-2377-13-69

Published: 28 June 2013
    Abstract (provisional)

Background

Despite the commonly known benefits of exercise and physical activity evidence shows that persons Multiple Sclerosis (MS) are relatively inactive yet physical activity may be even more important in a population facing functional deterioration. No exercise is effective if it is not done and people with MS face unique barriers to exercise engagement which need to be overcome. We have developed and pilot tested a Multiple Sclerosis Tailored Exercise Program (MSTEP) and it is ready to be tested against general guidelines for superiority and ultimately for its impact on MS relevant outcomes. The primary research question is to what extent does an MS Tailored Exercise Program (MSTEP) result in greater improvements in exercise capacity and related outcomes over a one year period in comparison to a program based on general guidelines for exercise among people with MS who are sedentary and wish to engage in exercise as part of MS self-management.

Methods

The proposed study is an assessor-blind, parallel-group, randomized controlled trial (RCT). The duration of the intervention will be one year with follow-up to year two. The targeted outcomes are exercise capacity, functional ambulation, strength, and components of quality of life including frequency and intensity of fatigue symptoms, mood, global physical function, health perception, and objective measures of activity level. Logistic regression will be used to test the main hypothesis related to the superiority of the MSTEP program based on a greater proportion of people making a clinically relevant gain in exercise capacity at 1 year and at 2 years, using an intention-to-treat approach. Sample size will be 240 (120 per group).

Discussion

The MS community is clearly looking for interventions to help alleviate the disabling sequelae of MS and promote health. Exercise is a well-known intervention which has known benefits to all, yet few exercise regularly. For people with MS, the role of exercise in MS management needs to be rigorously assessed to inform people as to how best to use exercise to reduce disability and promote health.

Trial registration: NCT01611987. Location: MONTREAL

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01611987
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I called about being in this study and I am not eligible for 2 reasons. I walk with forearm crutches-you need to be able to walk 100m unaided (sound familiar, Dave?), and I already exercise beyond their expectations!

I'm happy to see this kind of research. It is sorely needed.

Thanks for posting,

Teena Marie

Comment

Sorry to hear that, Teena Maria... I've contacted them, I hope I get in. I have a couple of friends who have tried to enter, but one is using a cane, and the other is "too healthy" to participate. :s
      We'll see how this goes....

Thanks Dave

Comment

Working...
      X