Stretching and pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stretching and pain

Hi all, i have started stretching and have an increase in pain around my hips i have been stretching my hamstrings and quads, is this just because of new activity and will eventually decrease or should i just stop stretching ?

Hi Adie, you may have met my nemesis, tight hip flexors. Here is a link to an article discussing what it feels like and how to treat it. I hope it helps. It lists butterfly, bridging, and pigeon stretches, which my PT prescribed for me. But the hip flexors are a complicated issue, so you’d likely benefit from a PT consult to address your specifics. Good luck! https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320489

Comment

Hi Suebee, yes met with P/T gave me some exercises to try out and told me any that aggravate don't do them but stretching seems to bring me down BIG time.
      What did help is she dug her elbow into my upper thigh/hip were the crease is and it was like magic the tightness and pain went i try to recreate with a tennis ball lying on it but don't get the same benefits.
      Will exercise and DONT stretch.

Comment

Hi Adie,

I've had the same response to stretching and wondered if I should stop. But I have also found that I need to be patient with the stretch and hold it a little longer than seems typical for it to be effective.

Your PTs elbow to the upper thigh sounds like a trigger-point release technique. There are some effective trigger point self massagers out there. I have one I've used for trigger point release in my shoulders, called the Theracane. Ask your PT if she would be willing to show you how to use it if you purchased one.

My PT showed me how to use tennis balls under my upper hamstring to do a similar release, essentially sitting on the ball and letting it apply pressure like your PTs elbow. I also throw myself across a foam roller from time to time. It's intense but works for me.

I'd much rather laze about now that I'm retired, but I find that doing so invites my muscles (especially the hip flexors) to decide they're not interested in doing anything either. Consequently, I'm stiff and gimpy until I get up off my duff and move.

...\O/...
        Liv__Well
        ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

I have a Renpho self massager is this the same sort of thing you talk about ? Will try it in one spot for a bit longer period to see if it helps.
          And sit on that tennis ball.

Comment

The Thera Cane massager is pretty lo-tech (maybe even reminiscent of a medieval weapon of war). Looking at a picture of a Renpho, it looks pretty fancy in comparison!

Tennis balls are super cheap! lol

Keep on moving!

...\O/...
            Liv__Well
            ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

I'm testing this gizmo that the pros use. https://hyperice.com/hypervolt-bluetooth

Just a little pricier than a tennis ball, gulp! We'll see if it helps. Spasticity and tight muscles stink....
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Just checked that out WOW that's some serious ££ oh $$, Just seen a TV programme with a athlete using one of those massagers.

Comment

Working...
                X