Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veronica
    replied
    Happy New Year! Just checking in to give the Yoga report... thumbs up to making it there New Year's Day. I think I get extra points for going out at 7:30 am in...seriously..... minus 11 degrees. And that's not the wind chill. Like so many of us all, this area is really, really cold lately. I found myself humming the "Ride of the Valkyries" as I drove over hill and dale and the wind whipped around, and then during the VERY cold but short walk into the library. Just very funny.. about a third of the regulars showed so I felt good.

And Dave, I was wrong about her being in cahoots with you to get me to "put down the cookie and exercise"....after class she invited us to stay for some home made chai and COOKIES! BEST of both worlds!!

I leave Sunday am for Steamboat for the week long adaptive ski camp and am so excited about this. Really want them to put me through my paces to help me refine some sloppy skills, which I know will translate into improved confidence. I've lost much of the past two seasons in the East here with all my shoulder issues, and it has taken a hit on my confidence so they have their work cut out for them. Been doing regular rowing and have really just started inside cycling, but have been doing all this in HIIT, plus some yoga geared for help with skiing, along with my regular balance checks and stretching. Once I am back I very much need to spend some time lining up a good, do-able inside exercise regimen for the winter for strength and cardio. The fact, Larry, that you can do your routine in about an hour helps me to see the strength training is do-able for me here at home with hand weights, therabands and the Bow-Flex.

Carry on all!

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    I am going to ask you about that yoga class next year Veronica! Mine starts on 1.2 and I thought that was a bit cruel

As for me the TMJ went away and I am pain free and BACK ON THE BIKE. Every year there is something (illness, out of town, injury, relapse, etc) for why I am not working out at the end of the year. So my goal this year is to finish the year strong! I would also love to right on the last and also first day on the year. Since its 20 here I will be doing that inside.

Leave a comment:

• Veronica
    replied
    All I can say, Dave, is that you must be in cahoots with my yoga instructor. She is holding our regular Monday 8am class on...NEW YEAR'S DAY...

Argghhh.....my first challenge for 2018 is to GET there, after being with friends NYE... luckily they are less than 2 miles away, and we are all such old farts that I will be in the car, driving home at 12:10am. And I am very determined to do this, hence my telling everyone I know. Can't face telling all that I wimped out.... Seriously, it is a good way to start the year off for sure... I'll be honest, and let you all know....

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Oooops, I ate the cookie Dave. And it's brother, And it's sister - And maybe a few cousins too. Then there were those chocolate covered pecans my sister always sends - horribly addictive little things. But I have been exercising. Walking several times a week and of course, opening lots of bottles of wine!

Oh well, next year is right around the corner and I'm already looking forward to repairing the damage.

Merry Christmas everybody, wishing you all a fabulous holiday,

Larry

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    You're so nice Dave

My TMJ has acted up in a major way, when I am in a lot of pain like that my energy gets zapped, I go to work and do what I can but but workouts are out. Now, with lots of Advil and (first time, yay!) muscle relaxers at night, the pain has lessened and I finally feeling up to activity. Starting slow - 2 days of 30 minute walks. Maybe the bike on Saturday! Fingers crossed

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    Put down that cookie and exercise. Just a reminder. Love you guys. And Merry Christmas!

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Gotta hand it to you Dave, getting out for a ride right after getting home is above and beyond, and for intervals no less!

Wish I could say I'm doing that well. Holidays and stuff going on at the house have interfered with my workouts. Hope to get back on track soon though. Whole heartedly agree, HIIT's are a great way to stay in shape when time is short!

AMF

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    About to get on another plane. But between travels I've been cranking. Last time we got home 45 minutes before sunset. That meant 30 minutes of sprints on my trike! Felt great. HIIT is fantastic for getting in a quick workout.

Marina, you rock. I've told others to look you up.

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    Thanks for that description Larry! I like the idea of a strength/cardio mix like that.

I going to find some info about the circuit you are talking about.

I am going to make the switch from my yoga 2 class this session to gentle yoga too at the request of my husband so I will need less gas in the tank and can probably get in a workout before yoga.

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    AMF, loved the recap. I'd write more, but I'm on my phone on an airplane and the doors are closing! Sounds crazy. And I could totally relate. We'll, to the beer part. Mmm beer. After a few days of no exercise due to travel I'm getting antsy! Home soon.

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Hey Marina, it does get to be a lot doesn't it? This is the weight workout I can do in about an hour. I do it twice a week. I use 9 upper body machines. I do 3 sets on each machine, one set of 12 reps, one of 9, and one of 6 reps. I increase the weight on each successive set AND I rotate machines between each set. By rotating machines on each set, I can keep going for about 9 sets before I need a short recovery break.

There's a name for this type of workout but I forget what it is. The result is a pretty heavy cardiovascular workout in addition to the strength workout. I don't do real heavy weights and I don't normally push quite to complete exhaustion even on the last set.

I walk for 30 to 45 minutes before yoga twice a week but my yoga classes are "restorative", which is mostly stretching. Some days this combination really works great.

I'd like to do 3 days of cardiovascular cycling work per week too but haven't figured out a schedule to accommodate that and everything else and still get a recovery day per week.

Hope I explained that we'll enough, if not, say something and I'll try to do better.

Larry

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    Glad you got a confidence boost!

Can I ask how long each weight work out takes you?

Currently my winter routine is 4 x week bike trainer, 2 x week hour walk (at a gym) and once a week yoga. As you can see there is no strength training at all. I know I should do something but I dont want to give up any work outs for it and don't really love spending lots of time with weights. Its something I have been mulling over, how to get some strength stuff in but not give up my schedule.

I just hope this winter there is nothing that forces my off for weeks at a time making me need to start over again. Last year it was a December cruise, then I got sick, then once I got better I fell and twisted my ankle. Past years I forget what it has been, but it seems to always be something in that Dec-Feb time frame. So the goal is to stay active all winter.

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Thanks girls, finishing the ride without having a shoulder to lean on was certainly a confidence booster in terms of self reliance. In the final analysis, it really only cost me a slower walk across one arroyo and a couple of forays into some of the more popular but navigationally difficult rest areas.

The next task is to put together a winter program. The twice weekly yoga is already in place and needs to include a walk before class. I need to work in at least a twice weekly weight room schedule. And, I got into such good shape this year I'd like to retain most of it over the winter months. Do I forsee spin classes in my future? YUCK! I wonder if I can find a spin class that emphasizes speed work over standing on the pedals until I fall over?

Everybody got a winter program in place?

Larry

Ps. And here's hoisting a pint back at ya!
    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 11-28-2017, 12:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    Wow Larry! I love the way that you describe your adventures, its like we are along for the ride

Leave a comment:

• teena marie
    replied
    Larry,

Sounds like your amazing, inspirational self. What a way to wrap up the season. Loved the description of the desert. Honeymooned in that part of the world and was blown away by the beauty.

Cheers and I will hoist a pint to you,

Teena Marie

Leave a comment:

Working...
X