Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    So exciting to see everyone getting into the swing of 2020! I've been busy on the fitness front and have managed to get on my bike 9 times so far this month (with four days to go) despite snow, rain and generally chilly weather. I've been avoiding the gym because a) the flu activity in NM and b) the gym in January is usually super busy.

And way to go TM, AMF, Marina, Karen, and SueBee!

Leave a comment:

• teena marie
    replied
    Wow, Marina, sounds like you are pretty tough, determined and strong. Celebrate your successes.

Larry and Veronica , thank you for your responses. Also, Larry, winter riding sounds amazing. Here in Montreal it is mild so plenty of cyclists.

Training is great with increased strength and stamina. TODAY I STOOD USING MY BELOVED SIDESTIX CRUTCHES!

Take care all,

Teena Marie

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Back in the Saddle

I love this time of year!

Got out for the first ride of the year this week. Went around my favorite piece of urban country side, the reservoir a couple of miles from my house. The sun was out and although it was only about 50 degrees, it was quite comfortable. But the BIG reason I loved it so much was because everyone out on the roads and trails was soooo friendly! The runners smiled, waved and said hey to the bikes, all of the bikers waved to all of the other bikers, even the old folks out on the trail behind the old folks home smiled and said hi, well, all except that one old lady.

I rode a little less than 25 miles, didn't hammer anything, just enjoyed the day. So much in fact that I went out the next day too and had the same experience. I love this time of year.

It has begun again,
    Have fun out there,
    Larry

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    Happy 2020 everyone!

I kinda fell off the face of the internet earth here but I want to get into the swing of things.

The bad: I never quite got back to 100% after my 7/20/18 hip surgery and spent over a year chasing compensation issues on my opposite side. I eventually had an MRI and it wasnt just a compensation issue. So I had another hip surgery (repairs and not replacements, harder recovery, boo) on 11/20/19.

The good: I got off of crutches in 4 weeks as opposed to 9 weeks on the opposite side. I had wanted to ditch then since week 2 but the surgeon wanted 4 minimum. Overall this recovery has gone better in every way, so I am really hopeful about my longer term prospects.

The Meh: My bikeMS ride will happen about 7 months post op (rather than 11 months last time) and having the experience of being there and not riding or riding a much shorter distance then in the past...I wont do it again. Especially since that ride require a weekend stay and all the expense that goes with that. So - its yet to be seen whether I will be there or not. The closer to me ride is very hilly and along the bike trail across from my house, so not to good for a trike rider. Not sure what I will do

The Near Term Goals - I am up to walking and riding 15 minutes, and even back on my own bike, this time next month I'd love those limits will increase to 30 minutes!

Leave a comment:

• cl3me
    replied
    Happy New Year everyone!

My New Years resolution was to get back into yoga, found a studio that offers Kripalu style of yoga which is a gentle style with a lot of focus on breathing, perfect for MS, Hot yoga and flow styles don't work for me. First class was great. I am also taking swim lessons and really enjoying that.

A frosty -30celsius here today, so counting down to spring already so I can get back out on the bike horse and kayak.

Starting to daydream about plans for summer. Local MS Bike tour is in late August, and I am thinking that will be the only "big" goal for the year.

Cheers
    Karen in Winterpeg
    Last edited by cl3me; 01-08-2020, 04:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Happy New Year

Happy New Year all and a happy new decade!

Thanks for the Yoga video Suebee. I can genuinely appreciate the mindfulness approach to many things we do, from social interaction to exercise to relaxation it really does seem to make a difference. My biggest problem is not using it often enough. Glad your with us.

And Teena Marie, happy to see you got what you wanted for Christmas - back in the pool. You have always been and continue to be a tremendous inspiration to me and I'm sure many others.

Veronica, you wear me out! You don't just participate do you, you take the extra step and get involved, nice work on the skiing. I'm going to get involved in a focus group for our own sports disability center soon. If anything comes of it I'll let you know. And rowing for core, the MSers nemesis, makes a lot of sense. Going to have to give that a try.

Nothing new here, in fact I'm getting bored with my routines. Still hitting the weight machines regularly and with good results, I am as strong as I have been in the last few years. I can beat the sideways eliptical machine although not every time. It shuts off after 30 minutes but sometimes I can do 30 minutes and a couple of extra seconds! And keeping up with my core exercises and yoga. My core is also as good as it's been in the last few years which isn't really saying much. I would love to get it stronger if I could.

Unlike Dave down there in sunny New Mexico, there's been no bike riding around here recently. We got a pretty good snow a couple of weeks ago and it has only just now mostly melted off of the roads and trails, however we're supposed to get another one tomorrow. But I know it's coming, the good weather that is, I can feel it in the air!

Hang in there everybody, we're off to another start,

Larry
    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 01-08-2020, 04:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• teena marie
    replied
    Happy 2020 to all!

Training continues, even during the holiday. My biggest present was getting back in the pool. December 26 is the best because the pool is essentially empty. I work with an aquatic therapist who helps me get in and out. Even though there is a chair to get you in and out, it is ancient and too high. My feet don't touch the ground. 6 months without swimming certainly takes it's toll but it feels great. I also hit the gym for the handcycle which is coming along slowly. I aim to get my heartrate high enough to be considered cardiovascular but this will take some time. Worked with a trainer today and stood holding on to the fence in front of me for over 6 minutes. Felt amazing. We are working a lot on postural muscles. I need more core so that, like you, Veronica, I can rollover in bed!

Love the ski goals, Veronica, bike goals, Larry, yoga Suebee and everyone

Gentle winter so far, here in Montreal.

Take care all,

Teena Marie else
    Last edited by teena marie; 01-07-2020, 01:49 PM. Reason: forgot an item

Leave a comment:

• Suebee
    started a topic MSers in Training 2020

MSers in Training 2020

Happy New Years all! I get inspiration and motivation to keep going from all your updates! Larry, TM, Veronica, and the rest I love love love your details of living fully with MS. It really is a mindset. But it is worth the effort. I’ve been working more on strengthening inner strength recently, with more mindfulness, gratitude, and meditation. I share with you a link to a yoga video series for MS.

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/care-an...ve/yoga-for-ms

Enjoy! And have a healthy and happy coming year! xxx suebee
    I
Working...
X