Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Had a lot of personal issues in the last 2 weeks so didn’t quite get the end to the training for the triple that I wanted. In fact, a few MS symptoms seem to be resurfacing so I’m putting together a plan B. Not sure what's going to happen tomorrow, have to wait and see.

AMF

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    Thanks guys - and Pell... that crash log he wrote is more than a *little* odd!!!

Does make a good case for the tandem. I think I will be inside on the trainer for a long while. And I will definitely not be riding outdoors without a helmet on!!!

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Aw Marina, I’m so, so sorry, that was a bad crash and you were doing so well too. And that helmet, wow! I’ve got a cracked helmet, nothing like yours, but I keep it as a reminder not to go near that bike without one. Really hope you’re feeling better soon. The only consolation I can think to offer you is that if/when you do get back on the bike, you will be a better rider. Baby yourself Marina, you deserve some TLC.

Larry

Leave a comment:

• pawpaw
    replied
    I am so sorry you crashed and that you smacked your head. I did that about 18 months ago and it took me quite a while to get my confidence back for the bike. I don't remember the accident, ambulance ride, etc.
    It sounds like you had a similar injury. I hope you recover quickly. The crash-a-log your husband posted is a little odd. Your helmet took a beating.
    Stay off the bike for at least a few weeks and then just do short local rides for a while. Maybe this is time for the tandem!

Pell

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    So I had a really nasty fall on my bike. My husband decided to share it with the world and pictures here. http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...28with-pics%29

I hurt everywhere...bike wont be fixed until 7/18...after that I hope I have the nerve to get back on!

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Hey Mike, welcome to the ride, glad you’re joining us.

I totally agree with you, I like to finish my rides feeling good, just enough exertion to get the endorphins raging, in fact, I try to do the events at an easier pace than much of my training riding.

Given your schedule, you might make one of your 45-min. rides into an interval workout. Find a hill or several that takes you a minute or two to climb and climb them as hard as you can. Be sure to rest (cycle easy) for about 5 minutes between climbs to let your heart rate come back down to a very comfortable level. Build up to doing that about 6 times. The next 45-minute ride, ride at a comfortable pace, not too slow but not so fast that you get very out of breath. Most of your long ride would be at a similar level but with 15 or 20 minutes of harder riding thrown in. You might also try to increase your long ride to 3 hours over the next 4 weeks. Your 3rd 45-minute ride can be at a very leisurely pace, no exertion, your body needs and deserves the rest by then.

You seem to stay pretty active so I doubt you’ll have any problems but do take advantage of the rest areas, stay hydrated, eat something at each one and spend some time socializing with the volunteers and other riders. I think you will find it a very rewarding experience.

Again, welcome to the ride, hope to hear how things are going,

Larry

Leave a comment:

• mstile
    replied
    inspiring, and then some

Wow, awesome thread and some really interesting facts about cycling and training that I was not aware of.

I am riding a 26 or 60 mile course this summer in NH, about 5 weeks away. Aside from weekly soccer games, riding is my new #1 way to stay in shape. Running was just too hard on my ankles/feet. And after I got Plantar Fasciitis from soccer with flat shoes... my wife and I bought new bikes. We have been training with 45 minute rides around our house, it's very hilly in New England, particularly where I live outside Boston.

With school just ended it's even harder to get blocks of time for longer rides.

My question is, does anyone have any simple tips to make our ride in August fun and memorable? I don't want to be on my last legs at the finish, but I way too competitive for my own good.

Right now I am planning to do 3 45 minute rides and one 2 hour rider per week. Our 45 minute rides are usually around 10 miles - the bike computer says my ave. speed is ~13.2 MPH.

I used to cycle fairly often 15 years ago, and I have a DeBernardi road bike, it was too uncomfortable for me when we started back up so we invested in hybrid bikes. We both have Specialized flat bar road bikes, I have a Sirrus Elite. I love it, it is so much more comfortable. But, I also like knowing I have the road bike in the garage if I ever get more serious and my body get's used to it.

Going to go out again shortly for another 45 minute ride. Maybe 1 hour if the humidity stays low.

Looking forward to reading up the rest of this thread for training tips and cycling advice.

-mike

Leave a comment:

• pawpaw
    replied
    Discouraging ride

I had been off my Gilenya for a week due to some side effects. I really enjoyed feeling normal during exercise. So, I restarted the med after our ride Friday morning and have taken it since then- 3 doses.
    Today I decided to ride the single bike since I haven't done that in several weeks. Clearly, I need to do that much more. I was short of breath, rode slowly- 15mph- and the hills nearly killed me. I guess I really need to go back to my interval training and pushing much harder. I have been having fun on the tandem too long.
    Pell

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Thanks Stella and Dave, like I said, it was a lot of fun. Today was the first day I managed to get back on the bike and only for 2 hours at that. But it gave me 13 for the week including the MS ride.

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
    You 'da man, Larry. Awesome work. The big question, though: is the "I ride with MS" jersey even half as cool as your jersey this year???
    We did have a cool jersey this year. I especially liked the fire in the eyes of the skull, but when you see someone wearing the "I ride with MS" jersey pulled over to grab a drink and you notice an orthotic or two as they clip back in and start moving again, well, that's hard to beat. Or when you pull alongside to say hi and they ask if you want to sprint to the finish, that's the embodyment of the spirit of that jersey that demands respect. I'm thinking that jersey belongs on my back for the century next year. It would be even better if I can get a little faster and a little stronger.

Got an easy week next week then the Triple!

Larry

Leave a comment:

• ActiveMSers
    replied
    You 'da man, Larry. Awesome work. The big question, though: is the "I ride with MS" jersey even half as cool as your jersey this year???

Leave a comment:

• Stella
    replied
    That's awesome Larry! Well done! Absolutely incredible!

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Thanks Pell and Marina, that ride was a lot of fun. I suspect one has to register as a person with MS to get one of the "I ride with MS" jerseys but I'll let you know when I find out for sure. Or maybe someone out there cruising by on the internet highway will let us know.

I really admire all of the MSers who were doing the ride, especially the second day when it got so hot. I know that heat got to me in the last 15 miles.

It would be fun to do the century in that jersey.

Haven't been on the bike since, got to get out there again tomorrow.

Keep on riding,

Leave a comment:

• Marinadca
    replied
    That is fantastic - so glad you had a great ride. I hope that triple bypass will be even better

Leave a comment:

• pawpaw
    replied
    Congratulations Larry!!!

Wow, you really smoked that MS ride. The "I ride with MS" discussion is interesting. That will be a big step for you. I haven't seen those jerseys anywhere. Are they designed for a specific team or does the local MS society have them for purchase?
    The second day sounds pretty tiring. I don't love riding in a head wind or a serious cross wind. It sounds like you were either climbing or fighting the wind. Great job with a strong ride in difficult conditions.

Pell

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    The 2011 MS 150

I made it! 72.5 miles on Saturday and 94 miles on Sunday. Saturdays ride was the easiest I’ve experienced. We picked up a 10 to 15 mph tail wind for the last half of the ride. That little push up the Horse Tooth hills made them almost effortless, spirits were running very high as everyone commented on the phenomena.

I saw more “I ride with MS” jerseys than I’ve ever seen on this ride. At the lunch stop I sat next to a rider with MS. We talked about doctors, treatments and clinics and eventually she admonished me for not riding with the jersey. She made a very good point, riding with the jersey sends a message to the world that not only do we have the courage to face our diagnosis but also the fortitude and ability to do things many others wouldn’t or couldn’t do. In other words, don’t count us out. She is right and I will have to give that some serious thought.

The first days finish line festivities more than lived up to its reputation. The band was spectacular, our team won several awards including breaking the million-dollar mark and best decorated tent. Our jerseys were outstanding, a picture of the back is included here. The beer was good (thank you Left Hand Brewing), the crowd was huge, the camaraderie at a peak. This was the best MS ride I’ve experienced yet.

In bed by 8:00 and up by 4:00, breakfast at 5:00 and back on the bike by 6:00. The second day century started climbing right away. We did 1,000 ft. in the first 15 miles followed by a short descent and then straight back up and I mean straight up. This was the hill I had heard about, a 2-mile climb that started out at 6% grade and increased to 14% by the top. I had to stop in the middle of that hill and regroup my heart rate but once I did, I was able to rocket up the rest at a whopping 4-mph passing many other riders. Four more hills followed in quick succession, each of them between 200 and 300 feet of ascent at 6% to 10 % grade and then a long descent onto the plains at the base of the Rocky Mountain foothills.

We encountered a 10 to 15 mph headwind when we got to the plains and the riders just naturally regrouped into draft lines, at one point even a small peloton of 25 or so bikes formed. After about 30 miles the wind changed to a broadside and increased in strength. A broadside wind is OK, in fact, it seems to provide a pretty good push more often than not. A few miles later we were at the lunch stop and the wind was howling. Tents were leaving the ground and diners had to keep a hand on the contents of their plates to keep food from blowing away.

In the last 15 miles the wind shifted a little bit more to our stern providing an even better push yet still a bit of relief from an increasingly hot sun. My computer registered 107 degrees but I suspect the ambient air temperature was really somewhere in the high 90’s. There were 2 more pretty good hills and in contrast to the previous day, riders were now bemoaning yet another hill in the heat. Occasionally I’d see a group of riders gathered under one of the few small trees along the route grabbing a couple of degrees of relief in some very scarce shade.

At a fire station along the route, firemen were out with a hose spraying riders who rode by open armed begging for a good soak. Supporters were there with killer squirt guns dowsing riders who gratefully accepted it. It was hot and everyone was beyond tired when the finish line finally appeared.

My stats for the first day were: 72.5 miles, 6 hours elapsed time, 4 hours and 37 minutes saddle time (a new record by 8 minutes) and 2,664 ft. of ascent.
    The second day was: 94 miles in 8 hours elapsed time and 6 hours and 35 minutes saddle time with 4,367 ft. of ascent.

Congratulations to all who participated in this ride and especially to all of those MSers who rode, it's likely you will see me in one of those jerseys next year. I hear your statement loud and clear.

I love this ride,
    Attached Files
    Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 06-27-2011, 04:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X