Hello

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello

I am so glad I found this forum. I got diagnosed about 2 weeks ago and all I have been seeing is negative stuff online about ms. I joined this other ms forum but all everyone talks about on there is medication, and how theyre in pain or need a wheelchair or cane.

Being on there was okay for support but it didnt do good for my outlook of this disease. I'd say it made me even more depressed. I love exercise and working out and after coming here I realized how important it is. Reading some of the threads made me feel so empowered and gave me hope that despite this disease being invisible and unpredictable, maybe I can still have some control over it? I am not going to stop working out.

I am 23, and wouldnt even know I had MS if I didnt get optic neuritis, which my opthamologist didnt even realize it was optic neuritis because it was so mild and there was no pain. Supposedly Ive had ms for 3-4 yrs but never realized it because physically ive been fine. But I do get tingles and slight numbness. Is there any way to tell how this disease will progress?

AshNight, it's great that you found us. We're all pretty motivated here. As you probably may have guessed, there is no way of predicting how the disease will unfold. Each case is sooo different. I talk about that frustrating uncertainty in a few of my blog posts about getting diagnosed. You might find them entertaining....

http://00634ca.netsolhost.com/blog/?cat=4
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

AshNight

Ouch on the new DX but I’m with you, stay away from the negative, I don’t see how it can possibly help. I’d even go a small step further and say actively seek out the positive in whatever forms it might take for you. But you seem to have already figured that out. Hope to see you here often.

AMF

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
        AshNight, it's great that you found us. We're all pretty motivated here. As you probably may have guessed, there is no way of predicting how the disease will unfold. Each case is sooo different. I talk about that frustrating uncertainty in a few of my blog posts about getting diagnosed. You might find them entertaining....

http://00634ca.netsolhost.com/blog/?cat=4
        Hey, I have been through your blog a couple of times. I love how you keep positive despite everything. Great forum you have here

Comment

Originally posted by AMFADVENTURES View Post
          AshNight

Ouch on the new DX but I’m with you, stay away from the negative, I don’t see how it can possibly help. I’d even go a small step further and say actively seek out the positive in whatever forms it might take for you. But you seem to have already figured that out. Hope to see you here often.

AMF
          Yes, there is so much negative to focus on with this thing, and I really need to be around positive people and people who believe that they can effectively alter this course somewhat . . .

Comment

Hi Ash, just want to say welcome. I am a new member myself and just found out I have MS just last month so I have the same questions and concerns that you have. Although you are a lot younger than I am, I am 47, it is still quite scary to get told this. I quite agree with everybody that we should all stay positive and keep active. My neurologist said there are many new advances in medicine within the last couple of years so that is quite hopefull. Hopefully, in our lifetime there will be a cure as well.

Dave, I read your blog regarding "At least you don't have cancer "and had a wee chuckle as it reminded me of my predicament and what thoughts were going through my head when I went for the tests as they thought I had cancer years back in my chest but it turned out I didn't. And when they did these tests for the MS they did a chest x-ray as well to rule out the cancer and so when the doctor said my chest was all clear, you can imagine my BIG relief. Although getting told you have MS is still no good news, but at least our life is not cut short and we can make the best of it and live a long life. I tried leaving a comment after your blog but it wouldn't let me by the way.
            Last edited by Stella; 04-14-2011, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I know our lives wont be cut short by MS, but it does seem to affect the quality of our lives. That is whats so scary and sad and knowing that thing thing can affect you whenever it wants.

Has anyone tried any diets or natural herbs to help deal/treat their MS? I am going to an ayurvedic doctor and I hope she can prescribe something . . .

Comment

BTW Stella, how long have you had MS for? Some people go through living life well into 40s or 50s without knowing they have it . . .

Comment

I know what you mean Ash about the quality of life being affected. I am extremely gutted and still trying to come to terms with it, I can only imagine how you must be especially being younger. I only found out last month I had it. Last year, in August, I experienced continual numbness in my right leg for over a week and went to three different doctors and no one knew what was going on. Finally, the last doctor referred me to a neurologist who at first thought it was a trapped nerve on my waist because I had gained weight but when I told him I tended to drag my right foot he said, if you want, we can do an MRI for peace of mind. And so I did and in January he called me back to discuss the result and in February got the tests done and March is when he told me. Previous to that I had an episode of double vision a couple of years ago but I think it was due to some medication I was on because they took tests and everything was normal and when I stopped it (the medication), the double vision went away. The neurologist seems to think the double vision was possibly when the MS started but I think it was in August last year with that numbness. So who knows? I have always been active and always belonged to a gym. I moved to Scotland 8 years ago from California and have had dreams of moving back home eventually because I still get so homesick. So you can imagine how gutted and devastated I am about this and hope it doesn't affect my future plans to move back.
                  Last edited by Stella; 04-14-2011, 12:39 PM.

Comment

Meant to say Ash, after I found out that I had MS, I was doing a lot of research in the internet and found that Turmeric is supposed to be good so I have started taking it. This link might be helpful:

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis...-turmeric.html

I also am trying to drink 2 litres of water every day.

Comment

Yeah I usually mix turmeric into warm milk and drink it that way

Stella can you walk and talk fine?

Comment

Yes, I can walk, albeit with a slight limp, but I can talk fine as well. Can you?
                        Last edited by Stella; 04-14-2011, 01:20 PM.

Comment

Yes, lately though i feel so tired Dont know if thats from my nine month depression and staying home with no exrcise or ms. I hope its the former.

Comment

It could be a mixture of things, Ash. Funny you should say that because, I rarely get tired but yesterday, when I was walking, I felt so unsteady on my feet. As if they felt weak. Today, I feel fine. My regular doctor told me I should keep active and keep going to the gym. Although, you should not over exert yourself, at least do about 30 minutes exercise every other day. I guess it depends on the person. But they do say, get your rest. So if you are tired, try and get your nap but the main thing, stay active. A little bit of both.

But depression could take its toll as well. Try to stay positive, I know it's easier said than done. I am going to try to forget I have this thing and just keep busy and hope it goes away.....
                            Last edited by Stella; 04-14-2011, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I hope it goes away too, I hope it doesnt progress!

Comment

Working...
                              X