Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AAN Conference: Past aerobic exercise (pre MS) prevents brain atrophy once diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAN Conference: Past aerobic exercise (pre MS) prevents brain atrophy once diagnosed

This may help explain why I have had minimal cognitive issues since I was diagnosed in 2006. I've averaged 30+ minutes a day of aerobic exercise for the past decade, long before I had any MS symptoms. Other studies also suggest aerobic exercise is key in fighting this disease. Let's keep it up, guys!

HONOLULU -- Multiple sclerosis patients who did aerobic exercise before the onset of their disease tended to experience less brain atrophy later, a researcher said here.

In a small study, patients who had done more aerobic exercise before MS onset -- running or cycling, for instance -- tended to have greater brain volume and more white matter, according to James Sumowski, PhD, of the Kessler Foundation Research Center in West Orange, N.J.

On the other hand, nonaerobic exercise, such as yoga or walking, had no association with brain volume, Sumowski reported at the annual meeting of the American Academy of Neurology

As a consequence of the preserved brain tissue, aerobic exercise was also significantly correlated with cognition (P=0.015) but nonaerobic exercise was not.

...Sumowski said the study is a promising first step in understanding the effects of exercise. The next step, he added, is to see if current aerobic exercise -- rather than a history of running or cycling -- would preserve brain volumes and cognition....

Read more here:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/MeetingCoverage/AAN/25914
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers
Working...
X