Cold bath anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold bath anyone?

I came across this the other day. With talk of hot water baths on the forum, I thought it might offer an alternative.

Many elite athletes use cold or ice water baths to relieve pain, reduce swelling and speed recovery from intensive workouts. Research is a little spotty on it but this article is a good read for the enurance athlete.

It's been a long held tenent that the application of cold reduces inflamation. Inflamation has a lot to do with MS. Hmmmm, I think the active MSer needs Nike to do another study.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/s...a/Ice-Bath.htm

Although I have slipped into an ice bath in the past, I must say, a hot bath is more relaxing. Thanks for the information. Food for thought.

Comment

cold baths

have been having ice cold baths to treat my Multiple Sclerosis since February 2008, which were prescribed by my Sports Therapist Simon kavanagh

the ice cold baths are a magic, changed my life.

I have a ice cold bath in the evenings for 30 minutes in the summer months, 18 minutes in winter months.

How I have baths:

I add 1 inch of cold tap water to the bottom of bath tub, then add 2kg of ice cubes, wait till ice melts, fill rest of bath tub with cold water up to the plug hole.

I lay in these baths for 18 minutes in the winter months, 30 in the summer months. I make sure I lye back in the bath so it covers most of my back, and the water only covers up to belly button at the front.

I find the best benefits from these ice baths in winter months when the tap water is at it coldest.

I lay down for about 20 minutes after ice baths, then stretch Hip and leg muscles etc.

I go for a walk every other night after baths with no stick for 600 steps or more. I have to use stick all other times so it shows ice baths work.

I just have a cold bath when get up in the mornings for 20 minutes, so i am able to go and do my exercises at my local gym. Having these baths allow me go to the gym which I would not be able to do if I did not have these baths.

Also not had a relapse for 4years since starting these baths, also hardly ever ill. Any problems I do have I get my strength back with in a day.

I know to ladys with MS who have these baths, helps them as well. it helps ME as well, but this disease is alot in the mind.

If you want to know more, drop me a message

Comment

Bepositive,

It makes sense intuitively that cooling the body would help the MS symptoms. I'm more of a cool shower type myself but, what I find particularly interesting about your post is that you have not experienced any significant relapses since you started the cold baths.

I too have experienced a significant reduction in number and severity of relapses as well as a general reduction in the severity of my MS symptoms. I credit this to strenuous endurance exercise.

Just off the top of my head, what I perceive these two essentially unrelated "treatment" forms have in common is that they both reduce inflammation. Cold baths by virtue of the cooling effect and strenuous exercise because it causes the body to produce its own version of cortico steroids which reduce inflammation. Cortico steroids are, of course, a first line defense many neurologists use against MS flairs to reduce neuronal inflammation and bring the flair under control.

What's even more interesting is that (unless I am totally misspeaking here) most, if not all, of the DMD's used to treat MS work by redirecting T cells away from nerve tissue thereby also reducing inflammation. Come to think of it, some diets claim anti-inflammatory properties too and I know more than a few people who swear by their diets.

It would all seem to point to the more anti inflammatory we can get, however we do it, the better off we might be.

Looks like another study the active MSer needs Nike to undertake.

AMF

Comment

forgot to say in ice cold bath post, i do not seem to be getting any worse over last 4 years. the only thing that has got worse, is my core stability. had a accident at work last summer, work told me to work from home. my core stability became alot worse, since then I do not work. this is due to not walking as much as I use to. need to start walking without stick in the mornings, start of with 500 steps, after cold baths in the mornings. have to use stick all the time at the moment.

Except after ice baths in the evening, were walk 500 too 900 steps.

I donot seem to get much sickness bugs since ice baths, if i do, i get over them in a day, that it’s also get strength back.

had bad day in the heat a few weeks ago, the only thing I could do was left head about a inch of floor, so weak, better when had ice cold bath.

these baths have really changed my life, for the better

Comment

Hi amf,

Good that u r doing the cold showers, but have u thought about trying the ice cold baths, they are just life changing. I add a post to my original post, to say how they help me.

I was watching the one show on the bbc, they was saying when u have the water at 8c, it some times creates White cells, but everytime makes White cells more active. Not sure my baths r that cold, but as I am in the bath longer, may do the same, not sure. But they are still amazing. Hope message comes out ok, using iphone

UOTE=AMFADVENTURES;2006]Bepositive,

It makes sense intuitively that cooling the body would help the MS symptoms. I'm more of a cool shower type myself but, what I find particularly interesting about your post is that you have not experienced any significant relapses since you started the cold baths.

I too have experienced a significant reduction in number and severity of relapses as well as a general reduction in the severity of my MS symptoms. I credit this to strenuous endurance exercise.

Just off the top of my head, what I perceive these two essentially unrelated "treatment" forms have in common is that they both reduce inflammation. Cold baths by virtue of the cooling effect and strenuous exercise because it causes the body to produce its own version of cortico steroids which reduce inflammation. Cortico steroids are, of course, a first line defense many neurologists use against MS flairs to reduce neuronal inflammation and bring the flair under control.

What's even more interesting is that (unless I am totally misspeaking here) most, if not all, of the DMD's used to treat MS work by redirecting T cells away from nerve tissue thereby also reducing inflammation. Come to think of it, some diets claim anti-inflammatory properties too and I know more than a few people who swear by their diets.

It would all seem to point to the more anti inflammatory we can get, however we do it, the better off we might be.

Looks like another study the active MSer needs Nike to undertake.

AMF[/QUOTE]

Comment

I heard from another ActiveMSer, Teena Marie in Nova Scotia, who has had success with cold baths. I'm reposting here to consolidate our ice bath posts.... - Dave

-----------------

I have cold baths year round and am presently here in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia where I get the most benefit from the cold water in late June/early July. I also can often walk without my hiking poles. I have been in touch with the fellow UK MSer-I have yet to use actual ice in my bath. I believe the cold reduces inflammation and improves nerve conduction. Because things work better after cold, I know that the pathways are still there so continue to try and access them the rest of the time.

I'm preparing for the swim part of a triathalon the end of July (I sent you picture last year for your video).

Teena Marie
              Dave Bexfield
              ActiveMSers

Comment

Hi Dave,

I go for a small walk with no stick, after the ice baths, was doing every other day. just started everyday after the ice bath. I use stepometer, so I can tell how many steps I walk.

I walk the same distance every day, I know this as walk to tree and back to same point.

What is intresting is that if I do not walk for a day, then next day I walk 300 steps. then walk next day I do 700 steps. next day I do not walk, then back to 300 steps, interesting if I do 700 steps today.

I just wonder walking everyday after ice bath helps nerve conduction, going to keep a eye on this.

been told I have wide gate when walking. when I walk 700 steps, I would say I am walking shorter strides which is good.

Going to walk same distance everyday for a week to see how walking is, could get some to film me.

I feel the same everyday after ice baths, do same routine every day, same diet.

Gary

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
                I heard from another ActiveMSer, Teena Marie in Nova Scotia, who has had success with cold baths. I'm reposting here to consolidate our ice bath posts.... - Dave

-----------------

I have cold baths year round and am presently here in Cape Breton, Nova Scotia where I get the most benefit from the cold water in late June/early July. I also can often walk without my hiking poles. I have been in touch with the fellow UK MSer-I have yet to use actual ice in my bath. I believe the cold reduces inflammation and improves nerve conduction. Because things work better after cold, I know that the pathways are still there so continue to try and access them the rest of the time.

I'm preparing for the swim part of a triathalon the end of July (I sent you picture last year for your video).

Teena Marie

Comment

I've started taking even cooler showers after my bike rides recently. It seems to be providing better than usual functionality which also seems to be lasting longer into the evening. I might get a chance to test out colder baths in a week or so in some really warm weather. If so, will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                  X