Chair yoga, initial thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chair yoga, initial thoughts

I've now been to two chair yoga classes and my third is today. It's being held at my local MS Society office and our group of MSers is about 8 in all stages of disability (from walking no aids to scooter). The instructors are great, thorough, and eager to help. The class isn't too woo-woo like some I've done.

As for chair yoga, it's definitely different from mat yoga. It's taken me some time to get used to the slower pace since my daily workouts are usually far more vigorous. But that's okay. I'm learning to focus on my breaths, where my body is in space, and be a bit more in the flow. The best part: our gang ("kula") is refreshing to hang out with for an hour and half each week.

I'll post more as our 8-week class unfolds....
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

That's just how I feel about my chair yoga class, the yoga is not too intense and I love the group. Tell you what though, I went yesterday after missing the last 2 weeks and was surprised at just how much stiffer I was already getting!

Comment

Our instructor, Dharmashakti, must have read my post about chair yoga being not that vigorous. This last class, he put me into a few moves (Warrior 2, Tree Pose, etc.), using the chair or wall for balance, and kept me there until my body was not entirely happy. I thought he had forgotten about me and started unwinding one of the stances, but nooo. Keep holding, he said. I tried to complain and he gave me the stink eye—yoga is work, he reminded me.

One time I accidentally moved a little too fast trying to get into a bridge position. TSSSK, not yet, he scolded. This dude is the yoga whisperer. And honestly a great instructor. When my positioning is off (and it often is) he would fix it. A DVD could never do that....
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
      X