Tracking daily steps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracking daily steps

I've started to track my daily steps with a pedometer. One of the big issues with MS is osteoporosis, which is the thinning of bone tissue and loss of bone density over time. This happens in part because we tend to do fewer weight-bearing activities (swimming instead of hiking, for example). So I'm counting steps. Even when I'm not walking, I might do firm standing marching. It ups my steps (he-he) but more importantly counts as weight-bearing exercise.

So far my high is 4,800 steps and my low 3,000 steps (it was a bike day). I hope to keep it up. Anyone else tracking steps?
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I think that's a great idea - I have thought about counting steps as well - what pedometer do you use?
    Certified Life Coach

RRMS - D/X 2007

Comment

It's an Omron, and it was pretty cheap ($12). I'm not thrilled with it because it misses steps, and dangit, I want them all to count! I might do a test later to see which brand is the most accurate. I think using a cane/forearm crutches/walker mucks it up....

Here's a thread in the gear section on pedometers and steps....

http://activemsers.wssnoc.net/showthread.php?t=372
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Now I'm thinking if getting a) a different pedometer and/or b) a small GPS that tracks distance. I went for a 1.5 hour hike and at times tried counting my steps and comparing it to the pedometer. The forearm crutches must have tossed it all out of whack--it only counted 1/4 of my steps! The whole hike only registered about 1K, when I was definitely over 3K. Grrr.
        Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Have you tried the Fitbit? It's what my active MSer spouse has started using after trying (with various degrees of success) a number of different pedometers over the years. It's a bit more expensive than a standard pedometer but he feels it does a better job of capturing a broad range of physical activity besides plain old walking/jogging. It also has a sleep monitoring function that he does not use but others may find helpful. It's available from Amazon.

Comment

The Fitbit looks perfect, MSSpouse! If it does everything it says it does, it's $100 well spent. It looks to be worth a full review on ActiveMSers.

I just did 5,200 steps, but most of those were marching (while using my exercise bike standing), which means the pedometer could record it.
            Dave Bexfield
            ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
            X