• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pawpaw
    replied
    Slowly and a bit more each day

Louise,
    Five years ago I had a horrible time with fatigue. I didn't think I could change the situation but decided to change what I could. I changed my eating habits and lost nearly 30#. At the same time, I started walking- more each day. I walked even when I didn't think I could get back home. Sometimes I had to stop and rest. Usually I took a nap after the walk. I just kept pushing a bit more each day.
    Fast forward 3 years- ran a half marathon.
    The next year I started cycling and I think this is the sport for me. The wind is cooling while I ride and I can last for hours on the bike. I rode over 3000 miles last year.
    It doesn't matter what you do. If heat is an issue, try a cooling vest, drink cold water, etc.
    Just move as much as you can.

Rob- agreed- just a chapter, not the whole story. I think MS has enriched my life. We are now remodeling our home so it is barrier free. I am loving the changes.

Pell

Leave a comment:

• RobDavidson
    replied
    Thank you. The half marathon was a lot of fun and as strange as it sounds had i not been diagnosed I probably wouldn't have done it. It was a coworkers idea, she knew the RocknRoll marathon in phoenix benefited the MS Society. Training for that gave me the motivation to start my own active group in San Diego and helped me realize that being diagnosed is not who I am just a chapter in my big book of life. Now I'm thankful everyday to her for pushing me to do that. Im signed up for 2 more this year now. Never would have thought that.

Leave a comment:

• AMFADVENTURES
    replied
    Originally posted by LouiseS. View Post
    I would like to begin a low impact exercise program to improve my endurance. The problem is, I get hit with fatigue...and have to stop when I get warmed up, or walk too much. Does anyone have any suggestions about doing cardio exercises in spite of this symptom, or am I asking the impossible?
    You're not asking the impossible but you might be expecting to see it too soon, it may require a minimum of 6 weeks before you start to see noticeable improvements and could easily take much longer. Krista and Rob are exactly right, start slow and keep trying.

Congratulations on the half marathon Rob.

Leave a comment:

• RobDavidson
    replied
    When I got diagnosed I couldn't feel my legs at all. I couldn't walk let alone do much of anything else. When I started getting the feeling back I also got on the elliptical or exercise bike and did what I could because both are low impact exercises. Now I walk, bike and even ran my first half marathon last month. The key is to push when you can but pull back when you need to. You need to take care of yourself don't push when you can't. I believe exercise over time does ease the fatigue and you'll find you can do more. Just keep trying. A positive outlook goes a long way in this fight.

Leave a comment:

• KristaH
    replied
    What I did was get a Gazelle elliptical and started at 5minutes (most I could do) and slowly added 5 minutes every week and built my endurance that way. I had several times when I had to cut it back a bit but managed to build it back up after a week or so
    Don't push too hard because chances are your body will push back harder than you. But it is possible to slowly build up your endurance and push the fatigue back

Leave a comment:

• LouiseS.
    started a topic Low Impact Aerobics Question

Low Impact Aerobics Question

I would like to begin a low impact exercise program to improve my endurance. The problem is, I get hit with fatigue...and have to stop when I get warmed up, or walk too much. Does anyone have any suggestions about doing cardio exercises in spite of this symptom, or am I asking the impossible?
Working...
X