Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Q: I need more support than a single cane—should I try trekking poles, forearm crutches, rollator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q: I need more support than a single cane—should I try trekking poles, forearm crutches, rollator?

Got this the other day. Do members have other advice? -D

I’m a member of ActiveMSers and thought of you first as the guy in the know who could steer me in the direction towards answers to my questions.
    I was diagnosed with progressive MS in 1993 which was not too bothersome until a few years ago when I started to need a walking stick to get around. Then approx. 18+ months ago I switched to using a rollator for more balance and support and haven’t been able to go back to the stick since. My concern is that I bend over/hunch over using the rollator. I want to consult with someone who could figure out what would be the best walking assist equipment for me. And how I could try the various options out. Two walking sticks vs. forearm crutches vs rollator. Possible a differently designed rollator would alleviate the “hunch”?

My question to you is what type of professional could help me with walking. Physical therapists that I have seen through Kaiser my insurance provider have only ever given me exercises for strengthening or stretching, but haven’t addressed what I can do for walking nor differences in mobility equipment. Would an occupational therapist be more helpful possibly?

Hoping you can steer me somewhere besides the circles I create for myself.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

You'll want to talk to an OT, although PTs can be helpful in this department, too, if you ask. My hunch is that forearm crutches would give you the best of both worlds: good support and good posture. There are rollators that say they are better for posture but a) haven't tried, and b) they look unwieldy. Perhaps members have experience in this department?
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
    X