Two thirds of MSers not given DMT at diagnosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two thirds of MSers not given DMT at diagnosis

WTH? "Almost two-thirds of people newly diagnosed with multiple sclerosis (MS) in the United States, identified through a national database, were not prescribed disease-modifying therapies (DMTs) over an average of more than two years of follow-up, a real-world study of nearly 5,700 patients found." And early treatment is most critical with this disease. I don't get it. -D

Treatment patterns and comorbid burden of patients newly diagnosed with multiple sclerosis in the United States
    BMC Neurology volume 20, Article number: 296 (2020) Cite this article

Abstract

Background
    The treatment landscape for multiple sclerosis (MS) is quickly evolving. Understanding real-world treatment patterns of patients is necessary to identifying potential gaps in care.

Methods
    Patients with incident MS were identified from a large national claims database during 1/1/2014–6/30/2019. Patients had ≥2 diagnoses for MS or an inpatient hospitalization with a primary diagnosis of MS. Patients were required to have enrollment in the database ≥1 year prior to and ≥ 1 year following their first MS diagnosis. Treatment sequences were captured for all available disease modifying therapies (DMTs) during all available follow-up. Presence of comorbid conditions were captured during the one year prior to and following (and including) the index date; absolute change in prevalence from the pre- to post-index periods was calculated.

Results
    We identified 5691 patients with incident MS. Common comorbidities included physical symptoms (e.g., pain, weakness, fatigue), mental health conditions (anxiety, depression), and cardiovascular/metabolic conditions (hypertension, hyperlipidemia, diabetes, obesity). Just 1994 (35.0%) of patients received a DMT at any time during follow-up. Of those receiving a DMT, 28.2% went on to receive a second line of therapy, 5.8% received a third, and just 0.9% went on to a fourth line. Use of more than one DMT concomitantly occurred in just 1.8% of all treated patients. Glatiramer and dimethyl fumarate were by far the most common first-line treatments received accounting for nearly 62% of patients receiving a DMT.

Conclusion
    Approximately two-thirds of patients newly diagnosed with MS did not receive a DMT and the disease is accompanied by a significant comorbid burden.

FULL ARTICLE (FREE)
    https://bmcneurol.biomedcentral.com/...83-020-01882-2
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

MS News Today wrote an article on the topic:
    https://multiplesclerosisnewstoday.c...llow-up-study/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I know the thread is a month old, but I just noticed it. I was very fortunate, in that my neurologist had been part of the original Avonex trials, and was a firm believer in it. I was on Avonex within a week of being diagnosed. I really credit that for keeping my MS stable. I was on it for 18 years, though off now as my insurance company decided they didn't want to pay for it anymore.
      Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
      Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
      Active in amateur radio
      Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
      M.S. since 2000

Comment

Working...
      X