Going Drug Free with Your MS: The Flawed Arguments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Drug Free with Your MS: The Flawed Arguments

Considering going drug-free with your multiple sclerosis? I urge you to read this first. Please. My most popular blog post of all time might not change your life. But it just might change someone else's. Updated and revised.

https://activemsers.blogspot.com/201...arguments.html
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Very very well stated!

I was fortunate to start on a DMT (Avonex) within a week of diagnosis. I credit the 18 years I was on that medication for keeping my MS stable. It was my stinking Insurance company that finally refused to pay for them anymore, that saw me stop therapy, however I have thankfully remained stable in the two years since.
    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
    Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
    Active in amateur radio
    Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
    M.S. since 2000

Comment

It will admit to "doing things naturally" . But, first, before you let out a huge sigh and roll your eyes, hear me out. I live in Canada. You know, that cold, snowy place of igloos, dog-sleds and free health care (remember, nothing is actually "free" ). We have the great fortune **cough, cough** of being newly diagnosed AND experimenting with natural treatment. Why, you ask? Because it takes FOREVER to get diagnosed and start treatment. I visited my MD for symptoms in July. I finally got an MRI 88 days later, at the end of October. Oh, and my first neuro appointment??? Well, how about the end of April???!!! Now, if you still have the cognitive ability of a 3rd grader you can do the math on that. Yes, TEN months from first visit to setting your eyes on your new best friend - your neurologist. So, you see, here in The Great White North we have to go au naturelle in an effort to at least feel some control and maybe, hopefully at least not help our brains continue to literally burn the midnight oil.

Anyway, after that long rant-ish post I'll say, thank you, Dave, for offering a different perspective. It's definitely given me something to ponder.

Comment

Pistachio, living healthier/natural can only help you. I spent a pile of money with a highly recommended naturopath down in newmarket. It didn't hurt the ms only my bank account. The whole time I was initiating dmts. We are very lucky with our health care, the trillium drug program will cover almost everything. They might ask for a deductible, but the med company may cover that. It feels like you're applying for a mortgage but they will help.
        Also; the dmt company will have financial people that will help you (or even do it all) jump through all the hoops.

The prices they use are intimidating, but here in Ontario you will be taken care of.

Doug

Comment

Originally posted by Drillerdou View Post
          .......the trillium drug program will cover almost everything. They might ask for a deductible, but the med company may cover that. It feels like you're applying for a mortgage but they will help.
          Also; the dmt company will have financial people that will help you (or even do it all) jump through all the hoops.

The prices they use are intimidating, but here in Ontario you will be taken care of.

Doug
          Thanks, Doug. I might message you at some point for tips on how to get this done. My neuro appointment isn't until April so no DMT options until at least then. I knew about the Trillium Drug Benefit. We're self-employed (hubby is a Chiropractor) so we have no benefits. Pharma is new territory for us.

Comment

If I can help, I will, but I'm no expert! They told me with ms I am supposed to avoid/reduce stress and then told me how much the meds were! But the finance people at the dmt companies are really good at helping you along.
            The waiting is the worst part.
            Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Drillerdou View Post
              If I can help, I will, but I'm no expert! They told me with ms I am supposed to avoid/reduce stress and then told me how much the meds were! But the finance people at the dmt companies are really good at helping you along.
              The waiting is the worst part.
              Good luck
              Thanks! I'm trying not to be stressed but with Covid, an Ms diagnosis and normal life happenings it's tough. I've developed a new mantra.....I constantly say to myself, "This/He/She is not worth a lesion", and then I carry on.

Comment

Working...
              X