Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urinary tract disorders in MS patients: prevalence, clinical features, and response to treatments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Urinary tract disorders in MS patients: prevalence, clinical features, and response to treatments

Neurourology and Urodynamics

ORIGINAL CLINICAL ARTICLE
    Open Access

Lower urinary tract disorders in multiple sclerosis patients: prevalence, clinical features, and response to treatments

Silvia Seddone, Monia Marturano, Riccardo Bientinesi, Matteo Lucchini, Pierfrancesco Bassi, Massimiliano Mirabella, Viviana Nociti
    First published: 03 June 2021

https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.24687SECTIONS
    PDF
    [FREE, OPEN ACCESS]

Abstract

Aims
    Lower urinary tract symptoms are common in multiple sclerosis (MS) and have a great impact on quality of life. We evaluated prevalence and characteristics of urological symptoms in a cohort of patients with MS.

Methods
    This is a cross-sectional study conducted on consecutive patients with MS attending our Center in 2018. We evaluated prevalence, clinical features, and response to symptomatic treatments of lower urinary tract disorders; we investigated the relationship between them and clinical and demographic features. Data of urodynamic studies were also collected.

Results
    In our cohort of 806 patients, the overall prevalence of urological symptoms was 52.9% and urgency was the most frequent symptom (59.4%). Symptomatic patients had a higher disability, a longer disease duration, a later age at onset, and a greater mean age at the time of evaluation. Urinary disorders were more frequent in patients with progressive disease and in women. About 41.8% of patients were under treatment for the urological disorder and 81.5% of them reported an improvement of symptoms.

Conclusion
    Urinary disorders in patients with MS have a high prevalence. An early and correct characterization of types of symptoms and an early and targeted therapeutic strategy are essential to improve the patient's quality of life and avoid future complications.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Nice read. My problem is not getting my bladder empty because of my MS. Intermittent catheter use when I'm not getting empty takes care of it well, and I'm quite careful about sterile technique to avoid infection. I was getting lots of infections before I started doing that.
    Retired engineer, now hobby farmer with goats, chickens, an old dog,and a lazy barn cat!
    Watch my goats at GoatsLive.com
    Active in amateur radio
    Linux geek, blogging at lnxgoat.com
    M.S. since 2000

Comment

Working...
    X