This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi!
    My name is Stephanie. I was Dx in Dec 2009 after I woke up completely numb on my right side. In 3 months they were able to watch lesions form in the brain so my Dx was pretty fast and text book. I've been on Copaxone since April 2010.

I have a daughter and step daughter that are both 16 and a wonderful husband. I run a company so there is never enough time or anyway to avoid stress.

After DX I was told to basically take it easy. So I went the other direction. Never run really in my life I took up running. I went from a very slow 18 min. mile pace to a not so slow 15 mile run these days. I'm building up the milage slowly now. I'm not fast, I'm not pretty when I run, but I'm moving so I'll take that as a victory.

Comment

Finally!!

I knew you guys were out there somewhere! I am really happy to have found this forum!

I was diagnosed with RRMS in 2010 at age 56. My neurologist said I had probably been "managing" the MS by staying so active and being fit. I ran marathons completed 3 triathlons and addressed any strange issues as sports injuries.

After being diagnosed I went through a year of worst-case-scenario defeatist thinking before I snapped out of it (mostly). I am on Copaxone and Baclofen.

I made a decision. I will not let a disease define who I am. There's a lot more to me than MS!

...\O/...
      Liv__Well
      ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Kim from Illinois

Hi, I'm Kim from the Chicago area. I don't have MS, but I do have fibromyalgia, and have severe heat intolerance because of it. I am so thankful for your reviews on cooling vests. I spent a couple of hours in the heat this weekend and had a major flare-up - fatigue, pain, feeling extremely sick. I have not seen any reviews on the fibromyalgia websites, so your site is a godsend for me!

Comment

Hello Active MSERS

So I'm not sure I hit the right button. LOL I hope after I type this it ends up somewhere on the website.

I'm new to the site. Very grateful for Dave the creator and all of the helpful information. I was diagnosed 5 years ago at the age of 25. I'm an avid cyclist and traveler. One cat, one amazing partner, and an obsession with food.

Comment

Very helpfully

Hi, I am Tim and I was first sort of dx with ms 20 years ago. The docs could not agree but did give me steroids which helped quite a bit. Even seeing the improvement they still did not agree. I about went broke from all the tests they did so I just decided that I would just ignore whatever it was. For all those years I thought it was all just in my head, suck it up and keep going. Finally just got a dx because this time there were lots of lesions found on my brain and spine. Did not surprise me but at 60 don't want to hear that I might not be able to go back to work. I got within a few weeks of running out of FMLA so I told the doc I wanted to o back now. We decided that if I got a power chair he would release me to go back. I run a Head Start facility that cares for 320 children. This is my idea of the perfect job. I get to play with the kids ( and act like one) but the real job is to take care of and teach the teachers. I have a staff of 40 and they are wonderful caring people. Great environment to keep my feeling young. Only problem was I can't keep my balance and walking the halls from room to room took all the energy I had. Hate being in a chair except it keeps me there. The kids were so glad to see me when I returned. I was off 2 1/2 months and almost the end of the school year, they all lift my spirits every day. At this point I wonder if I had not ignored the constant symptoms that popped up too often and gotten on meds I would be in better shape now.
            This wonderful site at least gives me a place to go and see that I am not alone and I am not crazy.
            Thank you Dave for giving so many people a place to go to get info or just vent. It has helped to open my eyes and face this challenge. I intend to keep working as long as I can even if it is on wheels.

Comment

Hello all,

My name is Kevan and I am 39. I was diagnosed last June but my symptoms have been present since 1994. MS has left me totaly depandant on a manual wheelchair and I am very close to being declaired legaly blind.I have been a very active person my entire life. I am taking on a major undertaking. I am atempting to get into wheelchair racing and triatholons. I have a write up in the fitness section if you would like to follow my progress. I wan't to show that even though I am in this situation I can still compete with able bodied individuals. I would love to hear your thoughts on this endevor.

Thanks for your time
              Kevan

Comment

First post

I'm Alina, I was diagnosed with MS... about a month ago now. I was shown to this site by Kate Morse, and I think its fantastic. I'd consider myself pretty active, I dance. Mostly swing and ballroom, but I was trained in ballet. I also love biking and hiking and generally being outdoors.

I'm looking forward to being a part of this community!

Comment

Hello!

My name's Laura. I've been a member of this site for a couple of months, but have been a quiet observer until now. I love all the information and positive support here!

I was 48 when I was diagnosed in May 2008 after surgeries on my hip and ankle did not improve my pain or gait. Steroids and weekly PT helped a lot, but I still walk with a limp. Don't worry, I'm not giving up.

I've never been an "athlete," but I've always been active. I especially enjoyed walking my dog and hiking around my beautiful home in Colorado. Since long walks are difficult, I started riding my bike again last summer. I'm a bit wobbly and have to watch the heat, but it's been the most exciting and liberating thing I've done since I was diagnosed!

Based on your evaluations, I recently got a Glacier Tek vest, which works great but is really bulky on me. So, today, my IZI Cooling Vest arrived, and I am psyched. It's 100 degrees here today, and I actually sat outside for about 10 minutes!

Oh, and I'm married with 2 kids -- 19 and 17. I feel fortunate to have an incredibly supportive family. Our motto is "You get what you get, and you don't throw a fit."

Comment

Awesome site!

Hi, everyone.

I have a very supportive wife and 3 kids. Last year I turned 40 and was feeling great. All of a sudden, all sorts of problems came up out of nowhere and I was eventually diagnosed with MS in Dec 2011, right after Christmas. I freaked out and did what most people do: jump on the computer and google MS info. Of course this was a big mistake! I finally found this site and no longer look at other sites other than NMSS. I love this site. It is very positive and helpful, and Dave has a pretty good sense of humor!

I'm probably more active now that I have been diagnosed. I wasn't a couch potato before, but I did not watch my diet or do any consistent exercising. An MS diagnosis kinda scares you into making some changes! I am now watching my diet better, thanks to my wife. I am also consistently walking the dogs, running short runs, biking, golfing, tennis, etc. as much as I can. I just finished a 5k with my son and have signed up for the MS Bike 150 ride. I am grateful that MS hasn't yet significantly affected my mobility.
                    Last edited by Marky-Mark1; 06-27-2012, 11:51 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

• Hi active MSers

Hello all! My name is Jen DiFilippo. I am a 28 yr old mother of 2 (4 & 5). I was diagnosed at 21 w/ RRMS 4 yrs later I moved and my new neuro diagnosed SPMS. So needless to say (and yet i do) my MS is an aggresive form. I have never been one to "woe is me", with my feet firmly planted in reality, I completely accept MS is going to happen for me, I may end up in a wheel chair 24/7, I cannot drive, I cannot do what I used to, my mind may go, but it hasn't yet. I intend to do everything I can while I still can, and help those I can while I can cuz someday will need help too.

I think that denile of ur MS and pushing to hard to do things just like u always have, is the real way MS wins. U can be all gung hoe and "I will not let MS stop ME from ...." the reality is MS is gonna do whatever it wants to whom ever it wants, u do not get to motivate urself out of MS. To win w/ MS is to do what you can, even though MS makes it harder 4 u. Thats what I consider being active w/ MS, knowing your limitations, knowing MS will take its toll and still doing what u want to do. Maybe not as far or as fast as u once did, but u still do.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Hello Active MSers

My name is Susan and I was diagnosed with MS at the age of 49, in November of 2010. I have been on Betaseron since March of 2011. I have foot drop in the left leg, that has steadily gotten worse over the course of the last year and a half.

I am so glad I found this site! Even though friends and family care, they really don't understand what a struggle everyday life can be for someone with MS.

I look forward to being part of this forum!

Comment

• I am the new kid...

Hi Everyone!
                          My name is Tammy. I am 39 years old. I do everything with my 15 year old daughter. We race motocross, we CrossFit, we eat healthy. We are training for her to make a bid for the National Amatuer Championship at Loretta Lynn's Dude Ranch in 2015. We really started this work in April of this year. I am proud to say I am in the best shape of my life, eating amazing healthy foods and losing all my midlife fat. I lost 5 inches in my waist....I feel amazing.

July 12, 2012 I was diagnosed with MS.
                          Well isn't that a humdinger?

I grew up riding horses, running track and was a pom pon girl. Lots of exercise and sunshine. Heck we had a hobby dairy goat farm so I had the best milk a girl could drink!!

So here I am being incredibly active and refusing to stop. I was so relieved to find something active in relation to MS. Curling up in a ball and giving up is not in my DNA, no matter what MS says.

My optic neuritis is still messing with my vision, but I was able to race this weekend and it was awsome. I feel like me today....the first time in almost two weeks and I am so happy to be here...for now. I am waiting for my insurance to preauthorize my meds. Once I have that, I will begin Copaxone.

I was thrilled to see others refusing to give in. Thank goodness I am not the only rebel out there!!!!

Comment

• Nancy from Texas

I had a probable ms diagnosis in 1973 that was confirmed in 1980. I have gone through several relapses and remissions but as I have aged the remissions take longer to happen and leave me with more inconveniences each tme. CurrentlyI use a walker routinely and a manual wheelchair for distances. I have participated in wheelchair athletics (basketball, tennis and field events) over the years and try to stay as active as possible.

Comment

• As someone else said, I'm not an athlete but have always been active. Certain times of the year have me hunting for deer antler sheds, Morel mushrooms, or picking mulberries. I try to walk or jog at least 4/10s of a mile a day (to the end of my lane and back). I've managed to jog a full mile but that's really too much!

Along with some flowers, I grow asparagus, wild garlic, and rhubarb. Strange combination, you say? The asparagus and rhubarb were here when I bought this place 3 years ago, and I brought the garlic from Mississippi (and some of the flowers). Now I live in east central Iowa with my BF, 2 cats and a Lab-mix humane society refugee.

Birdwatching and messing with my houseplants are my favorite hobbies! Plus I handle the outdoor plants and pushmowing while my BF rides the big mower.

Great website you've got here, Dave! I've recommended it to many people over the years but never took the time to join.

Comment

• Hi all,

I'm 32, new to activemsers, MS and Copaxone... I received my RRMS diagnosis close to 2 months ago and am on week 3 of the meds.

While I'm not on the sporty side of being active, I am very big on travel and will be setting off on a 4 month trip across Asia in October (counting the days!). I also went skiing for the first time as an adult earlier this year, and look forward to keep going back for more in the coming years.

I'm so glad to have come across this forum - I haven't been able to bring myself to join any of the others - the ethos behind active msers gives us a chance to come together from such a positive angle - THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                                X