No announcement yet.

MS'ers Training in 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For sure Pell must know more about those montains then I.
    Last fall on are way to Virginia we stop in Asheville
    and I climb for couple hours and back down and we drove the rest of the day trough the parkway.So as far I know it is a great ride in a park for 500 miles . The road is good and the speed limit is 40.There is a camp or a inn every 40 miles or so.
    I think it will be a great experience. Love to do-it one day.
    Are you planning to camp or stop at hotel.
    I love the idea of camping but I don't know if my old bones could take it-it.
    Alain

Comment

Alain, Thanks, you make it sound fantastic. My wife and I will be in that area for the Horsey Hundred with Pell and her DH so I saw it as an opportunity. I mentioned the possibility to Pell and my wife. My wife loved it so much she’s already looking for Bed and Breakfasts. Pell seems to be thinking about it too but I know they do have their own obligations. As far as I’m concerned, it’s a done deal for the first week in June. Let me know if you thought you might be interested.

I was also talking to Pell about the Horsey Hundred and she sent me a picture of this year’s jersey, which featured a horse running along side a cyclist. That picture reminded me of an experience I had just a couple of weeks ago. I was riding by myself in my own little corner of the urban countryside, clipping along at a pretty good pace, having just come off a little hill, when I spotted a deer in a field right off the side of the road. As I rode past this deer, it gave a little jump to the left and then to the right and then started running along with me about 100 feet to my right through the field. We went along like that for a third or maybe half of a mile, when the deer gave another little left and right jog and came to an abrupt stop. Then it turned its back on me and rather nonchalantly, walked off into some bushes. I’ve seen dolphins do similar things with sailboats, horses with bicycles and antelope do it with cars, but that was the first time I ever had a deer run beside me and it happened on a bike.
      Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 02-23-2013, 11:40 PM.

Comment

Larry,
        Yes, the idea cross my mind to join you but I will be already in France for the summer.
        How many days are you riding?
        Next year I am supposed to ride from Oregon to San Francisco with my daughter and her friends so it will be my first experience of days of long rides.
        May be I can stop in Colorado on my way (on my truck!) to visit with you.
        For the deer it happen also one time to me, what a great moment.On the small road I ride, I scare sometime young caff or horse that are not used to see biker and I love to see them running aways.
        You have mention several time sailling and sail boat Hummm, we may have more in commun then MS and bike.!
        Let us know about your trip.
        Alain

Comment

Riding with deer

We have also had the experience of riding with deer. We had several run along with us for about half a mile.
          Last fall we were riding at dusk and seeing tons of deer in the fields around us. We were looking to our side so much that we nearly hit 2 deer in the road immediately in front of us. They jumped the stone fence next to us and one was within feet of us.
          Another group was riding along with a group of deer and the deer turned into them and crossed their path. It took down several riders, but no one was hurt.
          I have driven many times on the Blue Ridge Parkway but have never ridden it. We were going to ride Bike Virginia this year but backed out due to time constraints. It is a very hilly route this year including some of the area around the Parkway in Virginia.
          I am trying to change my attitude about hills. I am taking a "training with power" class and have been trying to push harder. We plan to do hill repeats weekly once the season arrives. We are also hoping to drop some weight an another way to make hills easier.
          Alain, Where do you live? Summer in France and winter ?

Pell

Comment

vibration trainer

You asked about the vibration trainer. I like it and I find it gives another dimension to rehab and neural stimulation. I find I get a pretty good bang for my buck for doing very little. Sometimes, if I'm tired or having trouble getting to my execises, I just get on and vibrate at top speed. I also do various things like squats, balancing on one foot, standing and vibrating not holding on, etc. I do 5-10 minutes.

Comment

Alain, we’ll have to keep in touch, we’d love to have you drop in. Since you’ll probably have your bike with you, we might even find a ride somewhere close to participate in. I’d like to ride for a few days in the Blue Ridge, enough to see the country and stay in shape to do the MS ride when I get back. And yes, although I haven’t been for several years, sailing has been my passion since the mid ‘70’s.

Pell, I’ve seen stories about deer running into people on bikes and skateboards. The closest encounter I’ve had with the small herd of city dwellers near me, is having to stop for them while they wandered across the bike path. Speaking of deer encounters:
              https://www.youtube.com/embed/37WUuOc_zRQ (credit Fit Chick - Selene Yeager, wife, mother, professional cyclist and author, on Facebook)
              I hope you do take on the hills. I wouldn’t say they ever get easier, maybe more a matter of the body learning to accept and cope with it. My yoga teacher (the HBC) calls that zone “sensation”, it exists somewhere above discomfort but below real pain. I seem to do a lot of counting when I climb, counting breaths, counting road markers, white lines, other cyclists, anything to take my mind off the “sensation”. I’ll never be a good climber, it’s just a fact of life on the bike.

Teena Marie, thanks for the impression of the vibration trainer. I can see how it might stimulate the nervous system but wondered if that translated into noticeable results. Of course if you're doing squats on it, there undoubtedly will be some results. Anyway, I’ve never even seen one but I’ll keep my eyes open. I’d like to try it. How is the exercise going anyway?

Got a couple of hours on the bike, a halfhearted attempt at the weight room and a LOT of snow shoveling in last week. One of the storms dropped a foot of the wet, heavy stuff. DW signaled encouragement to me through the window from inside the warmth of the house as I cleared it, bless her heart. It’s snowing again right now but I am going to the club for a little quality time on the spin bike, the snow can wait.

Larry
              Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 02-26-2013, 03:22 PM.

Comment

counting

Funny you should mention counting. I am always counting on hills. I count slowly, then fast, then every 4th pedal stroke.....
                We are working on accumulating all of the supplies for traveling with a bike- extra brake pads (for all the hills we will be descending), spoke kit for our wheels, tires, tubes, etc. I am also in the market for a set of touring shoes. These are fairly stiff soled, made like road shoes but with an inset SPD cleat so you can walk on them without covers. Our bike shop has ordered a pair for me. We also have a pair of matching helmets on order.
                From a fitness standpoint, I am doing a mediocre job. I have only been on the spinning bike twice this week, circuit training class three times, pilates once. My pilates instructor didn't show up once, but it still doesn't count. Today I went to the Kentucky Crafted art show instead of working out. Tomorrow I have power training on the spin bike.
                My nephew arrives, with his bike, on Monday. He is coming to ride, but our weather isn't cooperating. We are hoping that by Thursday we can get out and ride. Friday is supposed to be 57 and sunny- definitely a riding day. Not sure what we will do with him until Thursday... We infected him with the riding bug last year.

I hope everyone sees some Spring weather soon.
                Pell

Comment

Not a lot to report for the last period. Although it continues to snow a couple times per week, I did manage to get out on the bike on Sunday for the sprint to the coffee shop and back. Had to resurrect my old bike, which I’ve termed the “Mudder” for the trip as the trails had barely become passable. It’s a good 6 lbs. heavier than my new bike, but feels like 8, 10 on a hill. Oh well, should be good for building up the legs. I also got to the weight room twice and managed two 30-minute sessions on the ellipticals and a couple of short sessions on the spin bike. It may sound like a lot but none of it got the attention it should have, hard to motivate when the next snow storm is a day or two away.

Pell, sounds like you’re kind of in the same mode. Hey, was wondering if you guys had considered a helmet cam for your trip? I like to introduce new people to biking too. I’ve got one candidate with tremendous potential if only I could get him off his mountain bike. He rides the same paved trails that I do but insists on pushing an enormous set of knobby tires along. This might be the year though.

Came across this this morning, home made energy bars for the road:
                  http://bicycling.com/blogs/ramblingm...on-long-rides/

Anybody getting any quality exercise time in?

AMF

Comment

Larry,
                    Absolutly I love to ride in Colorado and share some sailing stories.I let you know when I have more details.
                    No snow here in Texas but pretty windy.
                    Last week I rode only twice for a total 76 miles and I really need get with it because the BP mS 150 is only 6 weeks away!!
                    No more excuses now I need do 100+ miles a week or shame on me.
                    I let you know.
                    Good ride y'all.
                    Alain

Comment

Originally posted by penkalet View Post
                      Larry,
                      Absolutly I love to ride in Colorado and share some sailing stories.I let you know when I have more details.
                      No snow here in Texas but pretty windy.
                      Last week I rode only twice for a total 76 miles and I really need get with it because the BP mS 150 is only 6 weeks away!!
                      No more excuses now I need do 100+ miles a week or shame on me.
                      I let you know.
                      Good ride y'all.
                      Alain
                      Well, at least somebody is getting a little saddle time in. Actually, I did get out twice last week for 70 miles total but I haven't been out since Thursday. It has been snowing every second or third day here and never got quite warm enough to melt the ice on the trails before it started snowing again. I haven't been very good about getting to the club for elliptical or weight work either because, if I have to shovel snow, that's about all of the physical exercise I can handle for one day. Anyway, hope you're getting your miles in Alain, you are first up!

So, what have you been doing AMF?
                      TAXES!!!! You'd think it would be enough for the government to take your money but no. They have to make you work for days and days getting your crap together and figuring, sorting typing and re-figuring until your brain is completely fried, totally numb, and your wife has to leave the house because you're in an incoherent foul mood, yelling and mumbling to your self, that she would rather go get a couple of root canals. #@%$#%$

Spring, bring it on!!!

How's everybody else doing?

AMF
                      Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 03-12-2013, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Sorry of all that snow and bad weather you guys are getting but it must be very pretty!
                        Down south it as been only windy and I got 4 rides last week for a total of 140 miles but I am struggling to improve the speed, still in the +/- 12 mph!.
                        I need to get back in the 14 mph by mid April for the MS 150 or I will be spending the all 2 days on the bike!
                        I will ride tomorrow for the first time with no wind, so I will know more where I stand.
                        Spring is starting here with the first blue bonnet so it should be soon at you places.
                        Have a good week.
                        Alain

Comment

First Friday morning ride of the season

We ride every Friday Morning if it isn't raining, snowing and is above 40 degrees. This was the first Friday that met those requirements. I was on the single bike and nearly died. I rode out with a "B"group at 16mph with the wind to our back. I was struggling mightly and dropped back at 12 miles. I somehow rode off the road but just toppled over- very soft landing and no harm done. What I didn't realize was that the brake was pushed into the front wheel. Five miles later I was almost dying but finally noticed the brake. Once that was fixed, I rode in, but was very tired. This was not what I expected for a 26 mile relatively flat ride, even with a bit of wind. I am certainly hoping that I haven't lost that much fitness over the winter.
                          Last Friday afternoon we did 32 miles at 13mph and I was fine.
                          I hope every else has more successful rides.

Pell
                          Last edited by pawpaw; 03-20-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Nice job Alain, at least you're pretty much on schedule. I think you're right, the wind does affect overall speed, at least that's one of my favorite excuses, besides, with the blue bonnets popping out, who wants to go fast. Speed was so distracting that I finally took it off of my main computer display screen. It took a long time to get used to that but now heart rate and cadence get my full attention, like they should. How was the speed on the windless day?

Pell, our weather finally cleared up and I've been able to get out for rides. I also borrowed a powertap wheel. Still trying to figure out some base data but overall, my power is exactly where I thought (pretty low). Primarily, I'm interested in seeing where I end the season relative to where I started in terms of power. Probably have to climb a hill for a basis of comparison, maybe towards the end of the month. Like you, my fitness level seems to have dropped from all of the weather days. I'll be disappointed if it's not back within a couple of weeks though. At least you found a good reason for your struggle. The days that get me are the ones I struggle on and can't figure out why. Are you aware of a good book on training with power?

I got 3 rides in for 90 miles in 6:15 last week. There was plenty of wind and I was riding my heavy old bike. I'm not worried about speed but hopefully I can pick up the mileage this week. I'm planning on riding the century at the HH and every other ride I do this year, so will have to start packing on the miles soon.

Saddle side up everyone,
                            AMF

Comment

Well, I have a good week, got 4 rides for 170 miles including one day for 55 miles, no wind !
                              Yesterday I did my best time so far this year at 13.5mph with litlle wind.
                              Don't worry, at my speed I can still enjoy all the wild flowers. I need to say that the terrain is mostly bunch of little hills for only 700 feet of total elevation for a 40 miles ride so I use them like interval work out. Nothing like your mountains.
                              I wish you a spring weather soon for good training.
                              Alain

Comment

Crap, Crap, Crap

Had a little accident today. At least I was on my old bike. Hit some guy in a blind corner head on, we both went to the ER but I got the worst of it. Two broken ribs, a nasty gash on my heretofore handsome unblemished chin and a contusion in the middle of my chest where I think he buried his shoulder on impact, by far the worst part of the whole thing. The fact that he was on my side of the bike path isn't making me feel any better.

Strange thing about ER's, everybody always wants to know what the date is, weird. My ER doc turns out to be a recreational cyclist so we talked about a number of the rides we'd each done, several, the same rides at the same time, of course since he rode as a medic, he always got to do them for free . Another ER doc who just dropped by, runs marathons but says he'll take up cycling after he shreds his knees, he stuck around messing with my chin just so we could talk. A nurse, also a cyclist, who heard about this brouhaha, dropped in to visit. Turned out he has MS also and captains one of the larger teams on the Colorado MS ride. All in all, a very pleasant evening chatting about cycling in my local ER. Cyclists....they're everywhere!

Good work on the 170 miles Alain, stay healthy and it looks like you've got this one made.

Fortunately, thanks to AZgal's book club, I've got plenty of reading material so keep on keeping on, I'll be here,

Larry

Comment

Working...
                                X