Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sweating and MS: Is lack of sweating the reason we overheat during exercise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sweating and MS: Is lack of sweating the reason we overheat during exercise?

Blunted sweating does not alter the rise in core temperature in people with multiple sclerosis exercising in the heat

Georgia K Chaseling
    Davide Filingeri
    Dustin R. Allen
    Michael Barnett
    Steve Vucic
    , … See all authors
    09 DEC 2020https://doi.org/10.1152/ajpregu.00090.2020Abstract

Purpose: To determine whether thermoregulatory capacity is altered by MS during exercise in the heat.

Methods: Sixteen MS (EDSS: 2.9±0.9; 47±8 y; 77.6±14.0 kg) and 14 healthy (CON) control participants (43±11 y; 78.6±17.0 kg) cycled at a heat production of 4 W.kg-1 for 60 minutes at 30˚C, 30%RH (WARM). A subset of 8 MS (EDSS: 2.6±0.5; 44±8 y; 82.3±18.2 kg) and 8 CON (44±12 y; 81.2±21.1 kg) also exercised at 35°C, 30%RH (HOT). Rectal (Tre), mean skin (Tsk) temperature, and local sweat rate on the upper-back (LSRback) and forearm (LSRarm), were measured.

Results: All CON, yet only 9 of 16, and 7 of 8 MS participants completed 60 min of exercise in WARM and HOT trials, respectively. All MS participants unable to complete exercise stopped with ∆Tre between 0.2-0.5˚C. The time to reach a ∆Tre of 0.2˚C was similar (MS:28±15 min, CON: 32±18 min; P=0.51). For MS participants completing 60-min of exercise in WARM, ∆Tre (P=0.13), ∆Tsk (P=0.45), LSRback (P=0.69) and LSRarm (P=0.54) were similar to CON, but ΔTb (MS:0.16±0.13˚C, CON:0.07±0.06˚C; P=0.02) and onset time (MS:16±10 min, CON:8±5 min; P=0.02) for sweating were greater. Similarly, in HOT, ∆Tre (P=0.52), ∆Tsk (P=0.06), LSRback (P=0.59) and LSRarm (P=0.08) were similar, but ΔTb (MS: 0.19±0.16˚C, CON: 0.06±0.04˚C; P=0.04) and onset time (MS:13±7 min, CON:6±3 min; P=0.02) for sweating were greater with MS.

Conclusion: Even at 35˚C, a delayed sweating onset didn't alter heat loss to sufficiently affect exercise-induced rises in core temperature. Heat intolerance with MS does not seem attributable to thermoregulatory impairments.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I have noticed in recent years I'm not sweating as much as I used to. Maybe I'm not exercising as hard? Or it's les humid in Albuquerque (we are in a drought). Anyone else experience this?
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

I don’t sweat as much as I should for the level of exertion/temps especially when I’m biking. What sweatvthere is is really salty as well, like crusted on my face. I wondered if that was contributing to overheating. I get pretty red. Worry about heatstroke. Ride earlier in day in summer and take extra water and electrolytes....
      Callenge life before life challenges you - from inside collar of my "Bike Off More Than You Chew" bike jersey

Comment

Interesting ... I've noticed this too. While I was still training for events, I'd notice a definite lack of perspiration and would often douse myself with water to help with cooling.

...\O/...
        Liv__Well
        ..../\.......

My Two Numb Feet - An MS Diary

Comment

Ha, I sweat less too with MS! Makes sense that MS might mess up body regulation of sweating. Add it to another odd thing MS does. Too bad it doesn’t also reduce smelly body odors. Possible upside???

But gotta ask, could it be that before ones core temperature is increased that skin temperature is increased enough to slow nerve impulses??? I feel the impact of heat intolerance on my limbs before my entire body decompensates and leaves me in a helpless blob. I usually have enough awareness to stop before that point and cool my body with a/c, ice packs, cold water, drinking cold water, finding shade, etc. before I become immobilized. It alarms my friends who haven’t witnessed this craziness. I usually recover pretty quickly once I get cooler. If you experience heat intolerance for first time, stay calm, know it is temporary and get your temperature down.

Well let’s hope we are all sweating this pandemic less in the new year!

Comment

Working...
          X