Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dominoes continue to fall: Exercise strongly recommended for MSers, and now Parkinsons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dominoes continue to fall: Exercise strongly recommended for MSers, and now Parkinsons

From the UK MS Society...

However multiple sclerosis affects you, exercise will help you stay as healthy as possible. Exercising can also improve your mood and some MS symptoms.

All kinds of movement can be good for you. You might enjoy sports, while someone else may prefer Tai Chi or yoga. Gentler activities like gardening and cleaning use your muscles too.

The important thing is to find exercises to suit you.

https://www.mssociety.org.uk/care-an...staying-active
    And from leading Parkinson's groups....

New exercise recommendations have been released by the Parkinson’s Foundation and the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) to provide effective and safe guidelines about physical activity for people with Parkinson’s disease and certified exercise professionals.

The recommendations followed a recent meeting convened by the Parkinson’s Foundation, which included experts in exercise programs and research, physical therapy, exercise certification, medicine, and Parkinson’s community-based exercise programs.

The exercise guidelines are built upon science-based standards for exercise testing and prescription by the ACSM, which is an organization dedicated to advancing and integrating research to improve practical applications of exercise science and sports medicine.

https://parkinsonsnewstoday.com/2021...orts-medicine/
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

The combination of exercise and eating a healthier diet changed the course of my MS. After my relapse I could barely walk, it was hard to get out of bed in the morning. I have been in remission, no flares in almost 2 years. I am now virtually symptom-free except for the occasional numb feet if I eat something I'm not supposed to like gluten or accidentally eat something GMO. The power of diet and exercise cannot be understated.

Comment

As soon as I got vaccinated, I started working out with a trainer who only works with Parkinson's and MS patients. We spend 30 minutes on balance exercises and 30 minutes lifting. I can now flip tractor tires. Never thought I would be able to do something like this! It's great to work with someone who understands the typical issues facing pwMS. And having a regular supervised routine has also greatly improved my stamina for everyday life stuff.

Comment

Can’t say it enough. Exercise works wonders! I lift weights 3-4 times a week. I look better and feel better! Recommend exercise of some sort to all MSers.
        My personal motto (which I’d like to have tattooed) is by Shackleton (he explored the South Pole)
        ”Grin and bear it. Growl and go!”

Comment

Working...
        X