Paralympians with MS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paralympians with MS!

Check out a few of these awesome athletes... and their medals!!

How This Paralympic Archer Found a Bull’s-Eye Without an Arrow

Lia Coryell often questioned whether life with a debilitating disease was worth living. But then she found a purpose, and it goes way beyond shooting arrows at targets.

By Ben Shpigel
    • Aug. 25, 2021
    LA CROSSE, Wis. — From across the archery range, Erich Mueller spotted the woman in the wheelchair wearing a shirt that said, “I Hate Running,” and knew he had to meet her. Stifling a laugh, he introduced himself to Lia Coryell, and she smiled and called him Honey.

Soon, she started coming when Mueller and his teammates on the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse’s club team practiced, doling out snacks and advice. Calling herself Team Mom, she stayed at their hotels for tournaments. Then she asked if they needed a coach.

“But Lia’s more than an archery coach,” Mueller said. “She’s become my life coach.”

Last year, Mueller learned he had cancer and he knew that if anyone would understand, it would be Coryell. Like him, she knows what it’s like to live on a timeline.

Coryell, 56, has progressive multiple sclerosis, a chronic, incurable disease that affects the central nervous system. When she relapsed seven years ago, landing in a wheelchair, doctors advised her to halt occupational and physical therapy, placed her in grief counseling and urged her to settle her affairs — because tomorrow, they said, will never be better than today.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/s...a-coryell.html
    Kadeena Cox wins cycling gold to kick off Paralympic multisport double bid
    • Cox peerless in retaining women’s C4-5 500m time trial title
    • ParalympicsGB athlete will switch to athletics next week

Fri 27 Aug 2021 02.44 EDT

Great Britain’s Kadeena Cox retained her Paralympic women’s C4-5 500m time trial title at the Izu Velodrome, a world-record-breaking final run kicking off the first half of what Cox hopes will be another Olympic multisport double.

Cox was the last to ride in Friday’s final, having qualified fastest, but showed no sign of pressure with a blistering time of 34.433sec to take gold by over a second, ParalympicsGB’s ninth medal in three days of track cycling in Japan. Canada’s Kate O’Brien took silver, with Caroline Groot of the Netherlands winning bronze.

“It feels amazing, I knew I was going to have to do something special and I knew if I put everything together me and my coach have worked on, it would be amazing and that’s what happened so I am so happy,” said Cox. “I was not paying attention to what anyone was doing, I was just listening to my gospel music and just reading messages from my family and focusing on that. I got up and did my own thing.”

Cox will switch her focus to athletics next week, when she will run in the women’s T38 400m at the Tokyo Olympic Stadium in an attempt to match her golden double at the Rio Games in 2016, when she became the first British Paralympian in 32 years to win gold medals in different sports at a single Games. She has also raised the prospect of a possible tilt at a snowboarding medal at the Winter Paralympics, although injuries and the Covid-19 pandemic mean that the 2022 Games will come too soon.

Before any of that, though, Cox could add another medal in the velodrome, with the team sprint still to come on Saturday.

Her recovery for that event will be made all the more challenging by the oppressive heat in the region. The wheelchair tennis was suspended in Tokyo on Friday morning due to extreme heat and conditions in Izu, 170km south of the capital, were equally warm.

“I have MS and am heat intolerant so it is tricky, it is affecting my spasms and affected my speech which is annoying because I like talking,” said Cox. “It is a struggle and it will take me a little bit longer to recover, which hopefully isn’t too long because we have a race tomorrow.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...ort-double-bid
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

I can't imagine how they are competing in such Tokyo heat!

Tokyo Paralympics: how Paralympians are affected by the heat

August 24, 2021 6.57am EDT

The heat experts were right. In 2019, historical data suggested that the average daily temperature athletes would have to contend with during the Tokyo 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games would be between 28.2℃ and 29.7℃, with relative humidity of 65%. These have indeed been the hottest Olympics on record.

Archers have collapsed, tennis players have feared they might die and volleyballers have scorched their feet on the sand. But for many Paralympians, these conditions present a major additional challenge.

The complexity and severity of a Paralympian’s impairment combined with the demands of their particular discipline – the type, intensity, duration, mode of exercise and environmental conditions – will determine their particular susceptibility to heat-related issues. The extent to which any athlete responds physiologically to the heat will also vary widely within any specific impairment group.

Specific impairment groups

Research has shown that those with spinal cord injuries, amputation, multiple sclerosis or cerebral palsy are likely to suffer the most in the heat.

https://theconversation.com/tokyo-pa...he-heat-164284

Australia's Paige Greco, Emily Petricola win first two gold medals of Tokyo Paralympics

Greco and Petricola have been roommates in Australian teams and their nickname comes from the rainbow jersey awarded to each cycling world champion.

Petricola, 41, was introduced to the sport by rowing Olympic medallist Matt Ryan in 2015 and was coached initially by track cycling legend Shane Kelly.

Diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 14 years ago, her weight ballooned to more than 100kg before she took up cycling.

https://www.espn.com/olympics/story/...yo-paralympics
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

First relapse in 13 years. She's 60. And a double medal hope!

Stopping the clock, Carol Cooke is a double gold medal hope in Tokyo after just turning 60

By Paul Kennedy

Posted Mon 23 Aug 2021 at 8:08pmMonday 23 Aug 2021 at 8:08pm
      Time is the master of experienced athletes.

It controls training, it decides medals, and it sounds a gong on unwanted birthdays.

When the Tokyo Paralympics were rescheduled from 2020 to 2021, para-cyclist Carol Cooke figured out she'd be 60 by the time she raced.

Six-oh.

"I was supposed to be 59 at the Games last year," she said. "And I just assumed it would be my last Games.

"I'm not like a lot of the younger (Paralympians), who have put family on hold, have put careers, have put schooling (on hold) to be there. So, for me it was more of the unknown on whether my body was going to hold up another year.

"The last year has really been about trying to make sure it didn't fall apart."

Ten months ago, she had her first multiple sclerosis (MS) relapse in 13 years.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-...ames/100401256
      Dave Bexfield
      ActiveMSers

Comment

Watson claims Aust first taekwondo medal
        • Anna Harrington

Janine Watson of Australia (red) claimed Australia's first Paralympic Taekwondo medal.
        Janine Watson has won Australia's first Paralympic taekwondo medal, claiming bronze in the women's K44 +58kg.

Tokyo is taekwondo's debut at the Paralympics and Watson beat Ukraine's Yuliya Lypetska 63-0 in a bronze medal match.

Watson lost her round of 16 match to Morocco's Rajae Akermach 8-6.

But the Queenslander shrugged off her early loss to reel off three consecutive victories and earn a medal on debut.

Watson's round of 16 loss meant she had to go through the repechage quarter-final, where she was well on top of Turkey's Seyma Emeksiz Bacaksiz, leading 36-2 when their bout was stopped in the second of three rounds.

The 40-year-old then beat Japan's Shoko Ota 32-12 in the repechage semi-final to give herself a shot at a medal - which she ultimately claimed comprehensively.

Watson, who has multiple sclerosis, is Australia's first athlete in Para-taekwondo.

Dave Bexfield
        ActiveMSers

Comment

Working...
        X