Cognitive dysfunction and MS: the efficacy of exercise training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cognitive dysfunction and MS: the efficacy of exercise training

Researchers are proposing a randomized controlled trial to see just how effective exercise is in MS. So far the results have been impressive (and posted throughout this forum), but the studies have been small and not randomized. Expanding this to an RDC is critical in order to have exercise be a core treatment for everyone with MS. - Dave

Mult Scler. 2011 Jun 17. [Epub ahead of print]

Cognitive dysfunction and multiple sclerosis: developing a rationale for considering the efficacy of exercise training.

Motl RW, Sandroff BM, Benedict RH.

Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA.

Cognitive impairment is a prevalent, disabling, and poorly managed consequence of multiple sclerosis (MS). This underscores the importance of considering alternative approaches, such as exercise training, for managing cognitive impairment in persons with MS. The consideration of exercise training is warranted based on evidence summarized in literature reviews and meta-analyses that (1) aerobic fitness, physical activity, and exercise training are associated with better cognitive function in older adults; and (2) exercise training has comparable effects on mobility and quality of life outcomes in older adults and persons with MS. To date, research examining aerobic fitness, physical activity, and exercise training effects on cognition in MS is nascent and mostly includes cross-sectional designs that provide preliminary evidence for a well-designed randomized controlled trial (RCT). We believe that a future RCT should adopt research methodologies and practices from gerontology when examining exercise training and cognition in MS. This will maximize the potential for successfully generating a body of knowledge on exercise training and cognition with the potential for impacting the lives of persons with MS.
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Interesting study, and of course physical exercise also helps with depression, which is a biggie for MSers I think. But what about other things that can be done for cognitive dysfunction? I'm trying sudoku but it's certainly not enough. That Luminosity website is just too easy and to pay for simple computer games...? It's becoming very frightening for me when I lose track of my thoughts, blank out and just can't focus on what I'm saying or thinking or doing. Vegetating is not what I had planned for a career! What are some ways to improve on cognitive strength and focus??
    Thanks a bunch!

Niko

Comment

Well, Sudoku is fun, but I'm not sure it helps much with cognitive stuff (and it can keep you up all night doing just one more...). The Mensa book has some good strategies for experts.
      Also - stress, and worrying, will blank anyone out. One more thing to try - simple meditation, less than a minute at a time. I count breaths, and bring my attention back gently when it starts going elsewhere. About a month of less than 3 minutes a day meditation totally eliminated a disturbing new habit of coming out a few times a day with the wrong words and startling people. Maybe that was just recovery from exacerbations, but it's worth a try.

Comment

I blank out a lot too, but when it comes to something I really love like dog training my mind is so much better. To me, dog training is the most fun and the best puzzle in the world. My westie puppy really keeps me going! I still have trouble with other things but at least I have something for mental exercise!!

Comment

This is a great blog about pursuing our passions!!

http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2011...sclerosis.html

Also I am re-reading the exercise tips and the Get SET and Go newsletter. I'm having a very hard time getting restarted with exercising since my last relapse (In Nov!!!). But the puppy is getting me doing things I didn't think I could do!

Comment

"The menu was as ambitious as an eight-year-old on Halloween lugging both a wagon..."

From the link above to Dave's blog on finding passion and cooking referenceed in this last post at : http://activemsers.blogspot.com/2011...sclerosis.html

...just loved this line "The menu was as ambitious as an eight-year-old on Halloween lugging both a wagon and a pillowcase to haul the goods."

There are few people this side of the pearly gates who can come up with and integrate a line like that. Fantastic. I get the feeling though that Dave might be prone to sneaking out on Halloween trying to get away with hauling sufficient goods home to provide a steady trail of tasty snacks for a few months.

Also I am re-reading the exercise tips and the Get SET and Go newsletter. I'm having a very hard time getting restarted with exercising since my last relapse (In Nov!!!). But the puppy is getting me doing things I didn't think I could do!

Comment

Working...
            X