No announcement yet.

MSers In Training 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You 'da man, Larry. Awesome work. The big question, though: is the "I ride with MS" jersey even half as cool as your jersey this year???
    Dave Bexfield
    ActiveMSers

Comment

• Thanks Stella and Dave, like I said, it was a lot of fun. Today was the first day I managed to get back on the bike and only for 2 hours at that. But it gave me 13 for the week including the MS ride.

Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
      You 'da man, Larry. Awesome work. The big question, though: is the "I ride with MS" jersey even half as cool as your jersey this year???
      We did have a cool jersey this year. I especially liked the fire in the eyes of the skull, but when you see someone wearing the "I ride with MS" jersey pulled over to grab a drink and you notice an orthotic or two as they clip back in and start moving again, well, that's hard to beat. Or when you pull alongside to say hi and they ask if you want to sprint to the finish, that's the embodyment of the spirit of that jersey that demands respect. I'm thinking that jersey belongs on my back for the century next year. It would be even better if I can get a little faster and a little stronger.

Got an easy week next week then the Triple!

Larry

Comment

• Discouraging ride

I had been off my Gilenya for a week due to some side effects. I really enjoyed feeling normal during exercise. So, I restarted the med after our ride Friday morning and have taken it since then- 3 doses.
        Today I decided to ride the single bike since I haven't done that in several weeks. Clearly, I need to do that much more. I was short of breath, rode slowly- 15mph- and the hills nearly killed me. I guess I really need to go back to my interval training and pushing much harder. I have been having fun on the tandem too long.
        Pell

Comment

• inspiring, and then some

Wow, awesome thread and some really interesting facts about cycling and training that I was not aware of.

I am riding a 26 or 60 mile course this summer in NH, about 5 weeks away. Aside from weekly soccer games, riding is my new #1 way to stay in shape. Running was just too hard on my ankles/feet. And after I got Plantar Fasciitis from soccer with flat shoes... my wife and I bought new bikes. We have been training with 45 minute rides around our house, it's very hilly in New England, particularly where I live outside Boston.

With school just ended it's even harder to get blocks of time for longer rides.

My question is, does anyone have any simple tips to make our ride in August fun and memorable? I don't want to be on my last legs at the finish, but I way too competitive for my own good.

Right now I am planning to do 3 45 minute rides and one 2 hour rider per week. Our 45 minute rides are usually around 10 miles - the bike computer says my ave. speed is ~13.2 MPH.

I used to cycle fairly often 15 years ago, and I have a DeBernardi road bike, it was too uncomfortable for me when we started back up so we invested in hybrid bikes. We both have Specialized flat bar road bikes, I have a Sirrus Elite. I love it, it is so much more comfortable. But, I also like knowing I have the road bike in the garage if I ever get more serious and my body get's used to it.

Going to go out again shortly for another 45 minute ride. Maybe 1 hour if the humidity stays low.

Looking forward to reading up the rest of this thread for training tips and cycling advice.

-mike

Comment

• Hey Mike, welcome to the ride, glad you’re joining us.

I totally agree with you, I like to finish my rides feeling good, just enough exertion to get the endorphins raging, in fact, I try to do the events at an easier pace than much of my training riding.

Given your schedule, you might make one of your 45-min. rides into an interval workout. Find a hill or several that takes you a minute or two to climb and climb them as hard as you can. Be sure to rest (cycle easy) for about 5 minutes between climbs to let your heart rate come back down to a very comfortable level. Build up to doing that about 6 times. The next 45-minute ride, ride at a comfortable pace, not too slow but not so fast that you get very out of breath. Most of your long ride would be at a similar level but with 15 or 20 minutes of harder riding thrown in. You might also try to increase your long ride to 3 hours over the next 4 weeks. Your 3rd 45-minute ride can be at a very leisurely pace, no exertion, your body needs and deserves the rest by then.

You seem to stay pretty active so I doubt you’ll have any problems but do take advantage of the rest areas, stay hydrated, eat something at each one and spend some time socializing with the volunteers and other riders. I think you will find it a very rewarding experience.

Again, welcome to the ride, hope to hear how things are going,

Larry

Comment

• So I had a really nasty fall on my bike. My husband decided to share it with the world and pictures here. http://bikearlingtonforum.com/showth...28with-pics%29

I hurt everywhere...bike wont be fixed until 7/18...after that I hope I have the nerve to get back on!

Comment

• I am so sorry you crashed and that you smacked your head. I did that about 18 months ago and it took me quite a while to get my confidence back for the bike. I don't remember the accident, ambulance ride, etc.
                It sounds like you had a similar injury. I hope you recover quickly. The crash-a-log your husband posted is a little odd. Your helmet took a beating.
                Stay off the bike for at least a few weeks and then just do short local rides for a while. Maybe this is time for the tandem!

Pell

Comment

• Aw Marina, I’m so, so sorry, that was a bad crash and you were doing so well too. And that helmet, wow! I’ve got a cracked helmet, nothing like yours, but I keep it as a reminder not to go near that bike without one. Really hope you’re feeling better soon. The only consolation I can think to offer you is that if/when you do get back on the bike, you will be a better rider. Baby yourself Marina, you deserve some TLC.

Larry

Comment

• Thanks guys - and Pell... that crash log he wrote is more than a *little* odd!!!

Does make a good case for the tandem. I think I will be inside on the trainer for a long while. And I will definitely not be riding outdoors without a helmet on!!!

Comment

• Had a lot of personal issues in the last 2 weeks so didn’t quite get the end to the training for the triple that I wanted. In fact, a few MS symptoms seem to be resurfacing so I’m putting together a plan B. Not sure what's going to happen tomorrow, have to wait and see.

AMF

Comment

• Larry-
                        It may be the better part of valor to pull back and take it easy this weekend.
                        The mountains will still be there.
                        Rain kept us off the bike today but we hope to ride tomorrow and Sunday.
                        Pell

Comment

• D N F

Plan B for the “Triple” was to ride just the last 90 miles. Unfortunately, I didn’t even get very far on that. That old guy with the MS was back again and he just didn’t have much in him. The timing was unfortunate but it happens.

My serious training is done for this year. I don’t have a firm plan going forward but I think it will include intervals once a week and mostly recreational riding the rest of the time. I need to get back to the weight room in the gym and get the yoga going again. I let my yoga slip badly over the last several weeks and it showed on yesterdays ride. A strong core is critical for the MS as well as the bike.

Anyway, hope you all carry on riding and let’s keep the rubber side down. I'll plan to see you back here next year for another MS 150. Mean while, who knows what nuggets of mundane interest might pop up.

Thanks guys,

AMF
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by AMFADVENTURES; 07-10-2011, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• Marina, Marina, you give me heart attacks with such falls. It's a good thing you weren't in the Tour, because with your luck, you would have gotten hit by that car AND flipped over that barbed wire fence (and it all would have been caught on film by your hubby, ha). Hang in there and I hope your recovery is swift.

You hang in there, too, AMF.
                            Dave Bexfield
                            ActiveMSers

Comment

• Training and remodeling

Well, we did ride this past weekend- 42 miles on Saturday and 51 hilly miles on Sunday. Sunday was very hot and we were pretty toasted. We rode with the "A" crowd and finished over 18mph. Given the hills, we were really pushing. About 4 miles before the end, they started serging and dropped us. They were held up by traffic near the end so we ended up riding in with them. We are still working on the communication, coordination and balancing of effort. My DH is so competitive that he will push until he drops. I don't realize he is doing it and I am sitting back and taking it easy.
                              I have come to the realization that the tandem is so good for me due to bike handling issues. I use a ton of energy on the single bike concentrating on the road, looking for holes that I can't see well due to poor binocular vision, etc. My entire upper body is very tense when riding. On the tandem, I don't use any of that energy so I can use it pedaling. My DH says I am able to put way more force into pedaling on the tandem.
                              Marina- I hope you are continuing to heal.
                              Larry- I know you are disappointed, but look at all you have accomplished. A non-MSer would be proud to do the rides you have done without a problem. We all have good days and bad days- even "normal" people experience that. I think your plan to ride intervals once a week and do some recreational rides is a wise one. You don't want to burn out. I need to find the time to do the interval rides. I can tell I am not as fit as I was this spring.

Pell
                              Last edited by pawpaw; 07-12-2011, 08:44 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ActiveMSers View Post
                                Marina, Marina, you give me heart attacks with such falls. It's a good thing you weren't in the Tour, because with your luck, you would have gotten hit by that car AND flipped over that barbed wire fence (and it all would have been caught on film by your hubby, ha). Hang in there and I hope your recovery is swift.

You hang in there, too, AMF.

Thanks for the laugh Steve would be filming it too...would be too much for the poor guy to resist.

Comment

Working...
                                X